Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 25th, 2009 14:00

Dell Mobile Broadband Card Utility and IE8

I have an XPS M1330 with an internal Dell Mobile Broadband Mini-card 5720 VZW for Verizon.  The Dell Mobile Broadband Utility (DMBCU) now reports an APPCRASH upon launch only when Windows Internet Explorer 8 (IE8) is installed.  I'm certain it is due to IE8 and probably the required MeadCo Zeepe add-ins that are required for dmbcu.exe functionality.  Upon uninstallation of IE8, the dmbcu.exe works flawlessly.

Is there any update or plan to update the DMBCU for the 5720 VZW minicard?

Anyone else running into this issue?

6 Posts

April 9th, 2009 04:00

I Have the same problem on the Cingular card (5520).  Removal of IE8 also restored to working order.

3 Posts

April 20th, 2009 14:00

I have a D630 and had the exact same problems.  Once I uninstalled IE8, Dell Wireless Broadband worked again.

What can I do to get notification when this issue is fixed?

Ian

8 Posts

April 23rd, 2009 14:00

Ah - same deal here on Dell D630 and Sprint internal card.  Open with IE - it crashes the DMBCU right away.  Remove IE8 - all back to normal.  Hope Dell/Novatel fixes this.

Ron

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 23rd, 2009 19:00

Vicintech,

I really don't think this is a Dell problem but an Internet Explorer 8 problem. Anyone that installs Internet Explorer 8, their wireless cards don't work. Same goes with anyone with AOL, they cannot connect.

Rick

3 Posts

April 24th, 2009 12:00

That is absurd.  IE8 when through multiple betas and other QC before release.  If EVERY wireless card was disabled, it would have been detected long before release.  Dell has to contact the company it uses to product this software and get them to test so as to determine what is going on.  Let me repeat this:  DELL has to get on the stick.  It's THERE software that has a problem.  Pointing a figure at someone else does not fix the problem.  I own a software company.  When my customers have an issue, we investigate, determine the cause, and if we can do anything about it, FIX IT!

Ian

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

April 24th, 2009 12:00

The way to get around EVDO dialer software problems is to put your aircard into a router.

CradlePoint CTR350 Mobile Broadband Router

The Tower of Power -- photo shows all three current Cradlepoint EVDO Routers:
Top left is the PHS300 and top right is CTR350. (WiFi antennas are MBR1000's)

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

April 24th, 2009 14:00

I disagree since Dell isnt providing the Mobile EVDO software or service.

Verizon Problems with IE8

http://forums.verizon.com/vrzn/board/message?board.id=Broadband&thread.id=37

Sprint Problem with IE8

http://www.testmy.net/t-26105

Windows Internet Explorer 8 Compatibility View List

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b885e621-91b7-432d-8175-a745b87d2588&displaylang=en

http://i.gizmodo.com/5156518/internet-explorer-8s-incompatability-list-is-really-sad

Microsoft's "compatibility list" of sites that don't render correctly
in Internet Exploder 8 requiring some non-standards mojo from
the browser to look right—numbers some 2,400.
They're off-the-beaten-path sites like Amazon, Google, Microsoft and YouTube.

Mary Jo Foley posted what looks like the entire list of broken sites,
but here are some of the more ridiculous sites that don't display properly in IE8,
and require it to render them old school style (aka not web standards compliant).
Here are some of the more laughable ones.

microsoft.com
google.com
yahoo.com
cctv.com
msn.com.cn
live.com (a Microsoft site)
wikipedia.org
flickr.com
wordpress.com
adobe.com
facebook.com
apple.com
youtube.com
imdb.com
thepiratebay.org
dell.com
netflix.com
nytimes.com
gizmodo.com (In case you're wondering why you have problems in IE at Giz)
kotaku.com
sony.com

6 Posts

April 24th, 2009 15:00

Sorry I disagree with you.

The program is DMBCU, that is DELL Mobile Broadband Card Utility.  They may not write the software but they provide it, and in fact the only way I could activate my built in wireless card was through Dell, not Cingular (AT&T).  So I would say it is up to Dell to drive the repair process even if they don't do the coding.  Just my opinion.

Steve

6 Posts

April 29th, 2009 07:00

There is an updated version for the Cingular 5520 series cards.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&releaseid=R216783&SystemID=VOS_N_1500&servicetag=65MXCD1&os=WLH&osl=en&deviceid=13573&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=2&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=20&fileid=307954

6 Posts

April 29th, 2009 11:00

There is an updated version for the Cingular 5520 series cards.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&releaseid=R216783&SystemID=VOS_N_1500&servicetag=65MXCD1&os=WLH&osl=en&deviceid=13573&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=2&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=20&fileid=307954

Which does not fix the issue for me.  sorry.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 29th, 2009 13:00

Strichards,

Does un-installing IE8 and going back to IE7 make everything work again?

Try system Restore and go back to the time you had a connection.

Rick

6 Posts

April 29th, 2009 17:00

Strichards,

Does un-installing IE8 and going back to IE7 make everything work again?

Yes - Uninstalled IE8 and reboot made it work once again.

steve

April 29th, 2009 21:00

Steve,

There is something in Internet Explorer 8 that's not allowing everyone to connect to the Internet, either with air cards and even users of AOL. It is becoming a connection issue with not connecting using Internet Explorer 8, so I would recommend that people stay away from installing it. Your computer is fine, it's IE8

That's sad to see somthing like this happen with Internet Explorer 8. :emotion-9:

Rick

1 Message

May 6th, 2009 20:00

I have a Dell Precision M4300 with a Dell Wireless 5520 Cingular Mobile Broadband (3G HSDPA) Minicard. AT&T is the service provider. I had the same issue but narrowed it down (at least for me) to the "Microsoft Office Live Add-in 1.3" in my Add-Remove programs. Once I removed this, I had to uninstall the Dell Mobile Broadband software, reboot, install again. It works with IE8!

6 Posts

May 7th, 2009 07:00

Briandrab's solution has worked for me.

Thanks!

No Events found!