Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 25th, 2012 19:00

Dell Optiplex 980 Ethernet Controller.

I did a clean install of Windows 7 32-bit on a Dell Optiplex 980. I don't know what driver is for the ethernet controller. Will you tell me? I just downloaded the INTEL_825XX-GIGABIT-PLATFORM_A06_R290983.exe (5MB). I don't know if this is it. I will try on Monday. Should I update the chipset driver too? What is the driver for that. I downloaded Intel_AMT-HECI_A05_R304259.exe (10MB). Is that right for the chipset?

Also, I often have trouble finding drivers for clean installs. Can you recommend a utility to help find missing drivers?

750 Posts

August 25th, 2012 22:00

Hi chrisdonals1,

After reinstalling the Operating system, there is a certain order in which the drivers have to be installed.

The following article (Article ID: 268873) describes how to download and install drivers in the correct order:
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&docid=268873&doclang=en&l=en&s=gen&cs=

Answering your questions,

Drivers needed to be installed in the computer can be found at our support website. Follow the below mentioned steps to locate the exact drivers compatible with your computer:

• Visit http://www.support.dell.com
  • Click “Start Here” under “Support for Home Users”.
  • Click “Drivers & Downloads” icon.
  • In the next page, enter the “Service Tag” of the system in the box provided and click “Submit”.
  • In the next page, under “Refine your results”, click drop down arrow for choosing the Operating System and click “Windows 7 32-bit”.
  • Page will display all the Drivers & Applications which are to be installed for your computer.

Please post with the results.

August 28th, 2012 14:00

I did this at work today. The instructions are great. Thank you.

2 Posts

May 1st, 2018 09:00

HEY GUYS!!! ITS 2018!!! AND PEOPLE STILL HAVE THIS ISSUE EXCEPT THE PROBLEM NOW IS THAT ALL THE OLD SOLUTION LINKS NO LONGER WORK!!!!! :D THE DRIVERS ARE GONE FROM DELL'S WEBSITE AND THE INSTRUCTIONS FOR INSTALLING THE DRIVER IN ORDER ARE NO LONGER ON THAT LINK, YES I TYPED THIS HOLDING THE SHIFT KEY TO EXPRESS MY FRUSTRATIONS THAT I JUST SPEND $400 ON A USED DELL AND INSTEAD I'M STILL USING MY 13 YEAR OLD MAC BOOK 

August 19th, 2018 15:00

Did you ever figure this out? I have the same exact problem with the a used 980 that I just bought. I cant find the right driver for the NIC. I have a fresh install of Windows 7 professional 64bit. 

1 Message

August 22nd, 2018 12:00

On 08/22/18, found 64-bit NIC driver on Dell website:

NIC_DRVR_WIN_R267025.EXE

My Optiplex 980 SFF now has a functional NIC inside of WIN7 Ultimate 64-bit.

No Events found!