Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 8th, 2015 09:00

Dell Precision M4800 - Network Cable Unplugged

Computer is 3 months old.  Was working well for those 3 months.

Windows 8.1 with all updates.

This morning noticed several applications were not connecting to the internet.

Rebooted Router.  Other hardware that is directly connected to router works fine.

Rebooted computer, no help.  Changed Network Cable, no help.

Still shows as Local Area Connection Network Cable Unplugged.

Device manager shows nothing odd.  No unknown devices.

Wireless works fine, direct connection does not.

Help

1.8K Posts

July 10th, 2015 08:00

Hi,

A couple of quick questions.

1. Are you running 64-bit or 32-bit Windows 8.1?   (I'm assuming 64-bit on a precision )

2. Are you turning off / disabling wireless when you try to plug in a physical cable?

3. That cable, did you test it on another of your wired in devices to make sure it's not the cable?   (unlikely but you never know)

Assuming that you're running a 64-bit version of Windows 8.1 the Intel Gigabit Network Card in the system should be using version 19.5.0.0, A11.   That driver was just released in May so you may or may not have it on your system.  If you don't, please try installing it from the link I provided.  (Again, if you're using a 32-bit version that driver won't work).

Let me know the answers to the above questions and whether your system is currently running the 19.5.0.0. A11 version of the driver.   If that is up to date then we'll try a few other troubleshooting steps.

Todd

2 Posts

July 10th, 2015 13:00

I have resolved the issue.  Not sure why it happened, but while trying follow your suggestion to upgrade the network driver it complained about my virtual network (Which worked fine previously and is required with my virtual machine) I removed that virtual network driver and suddenly my network card connected to the network.  I am assuming that somehow the network card assumed it needed to connect to the virtual network instead of to the plug?

Very weird, but there you go.  Resolved.  Next step will be to try to make my virtual machine work again...

Thanks

No Events found!