Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 8th, 2015 09:00

Dell Studio 1555 - What wlan wifi card can I upgrade to for Windows 10 compatibility?

I have found out since upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10, that my Intel WiFi Link 5100 wlan card will never work with Windows 10. I want to get a card (hopefully with bluetooth also) that will work with my OS upgrade. I don't want to be stuck with a USB wifi adapter or attached to a wall via Ethernet cable. I read,  in certain computers, that only some wifi cards will work (white listed in Bios). Is this true for my computer or can I pick any card for example: Intel 3160 Dual Band Wireless AC + Bluetooth Mini PCIe card that I want?

1.8K Posts

September 9th, 2015 10:00

Hello,

As far as I know, only the physical and bus limits the cards that can be used in that system.  I don't believe that the BIOS blocks any specific cards, or manufacturers.  

The WLAN Mini-Card slot on the Studio™1555/15 system is located on the bottom of the system underneath the access panel. Only WLAN Mini-Cards work in this slot; other cards types do not.

The Studio 1555 usually had a Dell 370 bluetooth card in the system, separate from the wireless card, so you may want to either stay away from the combined cards or remove the existing wireless.   If bluetooth is working in your system then I would recommend keeping the card in the system.

EDIT:  Here is a link to the Dell spare parts page.  Maybe one of the cards available for the Studio 1555 is compatible with Win10.  At least you would know that the card works within that system. 

Todd

No Events found!