Dell WLD-15 Wireless Docking Station

Hello All,

I have recently purchased a Dell Latitude E5570 along with the Dell WLD-15 Wireless Docking Station. What I did not know at the time of purchase is that I needed a specific network adapter. I have since then purchased the Dell Tri-band Wireless-AC 18260 and I have installed the network card. Now I can see the Wireless docking station however I am unable to connect to the docking station. I have installed the driver package for Windows 10 along with the Docking station manager software, this all seems to be working properly however I am still unable to connect to the docking station.

Upon further research it appears that I need not only the network adapter but also the Intel Wireless Gigabit Sink W13100.  Is this the card that is inside the wireless docking station? or is it a WWAN card inside the laptop that supplies the WiGiG functionality to the docking station? The way I read it on Intel's site made it sound like this is a network adapter that I need in the client device.

If anyone can shine some clarity on this I would much appreciate it!

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Reply

RE: Dell WLD-15 Wireless Docking Station

ttiffany-fcccorp.org,

Quick Setup of Hardware
NOTE: Before using the docking station, make sure your notebook or PC has a WiGig module and antenna to enable one-to-one wireless connection.

Follow these steps for a quick setup of the hardware:

1.Connect the AC adapter to the AC Adapter connector on the Dell™ Wireless Docking Station WLD15 and to the electrical outlet.

2.Press the Pairing/Connect/Disconnect button.

These are the LED status indicators for Dell™ Wireless Docking Station WLD15.

Power Adapter LED

The LED on the Power Adapter connector illuminates white when power is supplied.

Docking Status Indicator

The table below shows the docking station LED indicators:

Docking Station LED Indicators
State LED Behavior

Disconnected
Solid amber

Connected

Solid white

Error (hardware failure)

Amber/White: Alternate blinking between white and amber

Pairing/Connecting

Amber: Rapid blinking

Firmware upgrade

Blinking white

The table below shows the RJ-45 LED indicators:

RJ-45 LED indicators
Link Speed Indicators Ethernet Activity Indicator

10 Mb = Green

Yellow flashing

Pairing/Connect/Disconnect Button

The Pairing button is an easy way for the user to pair, connect, and disconnect the docking station to the laptop. It can also put the laptop in Sleep mode and wake it up from Sleep mode.

The table below shows the function of the Pairing button:

Pairing Button Functions
Function Docking State Action Effect

Initial pairing

Docking station not connected and not paired

Short press

Completes pairing and connection to the docking station.

Go to sleep

Dock connected

Short press

Puts the laptop in Sleep mode.

NOTE: The laptop’s power options should be configured to support this function.

Disconnect (Undock)

Dock connected

Long press (more than 2 seconds)

Disconnects from docking station.

NOTE: The docking station LED will turn amber to indicate successful disconnection.

Resume from Standby mode

Dock connected

Short press

Laptop in Active/Wake mode.

No docking station in range

No docking station in range

Short press
Activates the monitor.

NOTE: There is no active docking connection in this state.

I/O Connectors

Listed below are the I/O connectors for Dell™ Wireless Docking Station WLD15:

Ports I/O Connectors

Video Ports

•Mini DisplayPort x 1

•HDMI x 1

•VGA x 1

I/O Ports

•USB 3.0 x 2

•USB 3.0 PowerShare x 1

•USB 2.0 x 2

•Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45) x 1

•Headset connector x 1

•Line-out connector x 1

If the wireless link between the laptop and the WLD15 becomes weak, move the laptop closer to the WLD15 or rotate the laptop to find a position with a stronger wireless link. For example, if you find that the wireless signal strength is reduced when the laptop lid is closed, you can open the laptop lid to find the best reception.

NOTE: The wireless connection works best if the following conditions apply:•Your laptop lid (logo side) directly faces the front side of the docking station.
•There is a sightline between the laptop and the docking station.

Resetting the Wireless Docking Station

To reset to the default factory settings:
1.Power off the docking station.
2.Press the reset button for more than 2 seconds.
3.Power on the docking station.

Reset button
The Reset button is intended for recovering from undesired situations. It restores default parameters and the factory firmware version. The table below describes the reset button functionality:

Reset Button Functions
Function Action Effect

Parameters recovery

Long press (>2 seconds)

Restores all parameters to factory defaults.

Factory version recovery and defaults

Press during docking station power-up.

Restores factory-saved version.

NOTE: This process will restore the firmware version, restore all default parameters, and delete all previously defined profiles.

Dell Wireless Dock (WLD15)

Table of Contents Usage Intel Wireless Dock Manager

ALLTechnical SupportDeployment ServicesField ServicesTechnical Account ManagerAfter Point of SaleResolution Manager

Intel Wireless Dock Manager

The Intel® Wireless Dock Manager is an easy-to-use software, which allows you to connect to the Dell™ Wireless Docking Station WLD15. The Wireless Dock Manager uses WiGig’s WDE/WSE PAL, leveraging the latest technology in transmitting the data wirelessly. Using this software to enjoy wireless high-speed data, audio, and video transfer between your PC/laptop and the Dell Wireless Docking Station securely. This software supports WPS security pairing.

Once you establish a connection between your PC/laptop and the Dell Wireless Docking Station, all the devices attached to the dock (like mouse, keyboard, stereo speakers, display devices, and external hard drives) are available to you. You can access them wirelessly using your PC/laptop. The Device Manager on your PC/laptop shows all the devices attached to the Dell Wireless Docking Station as if they are attached to your PC/laptop.

The following sections explain in detail how to:
•Configure the Intel Wireless Dock Manager software.
•Connect to the Dell Wireless Docking Station.
•Use the devices attached to the docking station.

NOTE:
The Intel Wireless Dock Manager is pre-installed in your computer.

To make sure the Intel Wireless Dock Manager works properly, make sure the system is WiGig-capable. Also, make sure all necessary drivers are installed, including the wireless driver + WiGig application, graphics driver, audio driver, and MST-Hub driver.

Intel Wireless Dock Manager Configuration

1.Launch the Intel Wireless Dock Manager.

Launch the Intel Wireless Dock Manager.

2.If disabled, please enable WiGig.

Enable WiGig.

3.Click the icon in your task bar as shown to connect to your Wireless Docking Station.

Click the icon in your task bar as shown to connect to your Wireless Docking Station.

4.Select the dock you want to connect to.

Select the dock you want to connect to.

5.Press the connection button on the Wireless Docking Station to confirm.

Press the connection button on the Wireless Docking Station to confirm.

6.You are now successfully connected to the Dell Wireless Docking Station WLD15. You can also enable Yes to automatically connect to this docking station on subsequent attempts.

Successfully connected.

7.If you do not wish to connect automatically on subsequent attempts, you can disable it by sliding the button to No.

Choose No to not connect automatically

8.Click the Dock Management tab to configure the Intel Wireless Dock Manager. You can customize the Dock Access Settings to Individual, Shared, or Public connections. Selecting Individual allows automatic connections. After the initial pairing, every subsequent connection attempt will use pairing content from a stored profile.

Dock Management

Selecting Shared will require you to manually select the target docking station from the scan list to connect. After the initial pairing, every subsequent connection attempt will use the pairing content from the stored profile.

Dock Management - shared

Selecting Public always requires the WPS pairing.

Dock Management — Public

You can also set a password to protect the docking station settings.

NOTE: If you forget your password, then you have to do a rollback to the full factory-default settings.

The following section shows the features available in the About section of Intel Wireless Dock Manager.

1.Right-click the Intel Wireless Dock Manager icon in the taskbar, and click About Intel® Wireless Dock Manager.

Click About Intel Wireless Dock Manager.

2.Information displays about the Intel Wireless Dock Manager version. Click Advanced Diagnostics.

About Intel Wireless Dock Manager screen.

3.Information displays about the PC that can help technical support in troubleshooting the wireless dock experience. The information can be exported to a file.

Information about this PC displays.

Information about the dock displays that can help technical support in troubleshooting the wireless dock experience. The information can be exported to a file.

Dock

To export the diagnostics information to a file, click Export Info to file. Save the file in your desired location.

Click Export Info to File and Save As.

Below are some troubleshooting steps and information for connecting to the Dock.

The table below lists the symptoms and solutions for the Dell™ Wireless Docking Station WLD15.

Troubleshooting
Symptoms Suggested Solutions

No video on the monitors attached to the HDMI, miniDP port, or the VGA port on the wireless docking station.

•Make sure the laptop is connected with the docking station to disconnect and reconnect to the docking station.

•Make sure that the video cable attached to the panel is tightly secured to the video port in the docking station.

•Make sure the monitor’s display output setting is set to the correct output.

•This may be due to the monitor(s) supporting higher resolutions than the WiGig connection is able to support. In the Intel Graphics Control Panel, under General Settings, make sure the resolution is set to 1920 x 1200 or 1920 x 1080 at 59 Hz or 60 Hz for both monitors.

•If only one monitor is shown, while the other is not, go to the Intel Graphics Control Panel. Under Multiple Displays, select the output for the second monitor.

•If three displays are plugged into the docking station, then the docking station will only support a maximum of two external monitors. Please refer to the Intel HD Graphics Utility page which describes how to select and activate the desired monitors.

•If your monitor is connected to a docking station, then the video output on your laptop may be disabled.

The video on the attached monitor is distorted or flickering.
•Make sure the video cable attached to the panel is tightly secured to the video port in the docking station.

•When the monitor is distorted or flickering, please reset your monitor to restore it to its original settings. To reset the monitor, press the Menu button on the monitor itself, and select Restore Factory Settings. Alternatively, disconnect the monitor from your docking station and power it off and on to reset.

The video on the attached monitor is not displaying as an extended monitor.
•Make sure the Intel HD Graphics Utility is installed in the Windows Device Manager.

•Open the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel and go to Multiple Displays to set the display to the extended mode.

The audio connector is not functioning, or there is a lag in the audio.
•Make sure the correct playback device is selected in the laptop.

•The most likely cause of audio output problems on the docking station is a bad audio-out connector. First try powering off and then powering on the docking station. If that fails, try to re-plug in the audio cable to the docking station from the external speaker output.

•Make sure the laptop is stationed closer to the docking station to avoid audio lag. Also, please update to the latest audio drivers.

The USB ports are not functioning on the docking station.
•Make sure the laptop is connected with the docking station. Try to disconnect and reconnect again with the docking station.

•Check the USB ports. Try plugging the USB device into another port.

0 Kudos