Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 14th, 2013 08:00

Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card

Hi!

I've a problem with my WLAN-card, Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card:

My ISP speed is 60/60, but I only get max 20/20 on my Dell Studio XPS 1645 (tested on speedtest.net). I know that the problem is my computer, or my network card, because all the other computers get the 60/60-speed, even my mobilephone gets better measurements.

My router is a Netgear N600.

So, what's wrong.

Here are some info:

Perhaps i should update my network driver, could someon give me a link?

Router wireless settings:

I've tried to change antenna to AUX, and turned off firewalls, but didn't work....

Please help!

3.3K Posts

August 14th, 2013 08:00

Hi Gemrick,

May I know the Operating system installed on the computer?

Did you check if the wireless internet works in Safe mode with networking?

Refer the following link for more troubleshooting:

http://dell.to/105mWOZ

Now uninstall the wireless card drivers:

• Open the “Start” menu and click “Control Panel.”
  • Type “Device Manager” in the search bar at the top right of the screen, then click the “Device Manager” heading that appears in the search results.
  • Click the “+” symbol next to your desktop’s name, and again next to “Network adapters.”
  • Right click “Wireless card”, click “Uninstall.
  • Check the box “Delete driver software for this device”, click ok and follow the on-screen instructions to uninstall the wireless drivers.

Install the wireless drivers from the following link (Windows7):

http://dell.to/15E6EuX

Awaiting your response!

7 Posts

August 14th, 2013 09:00

Thanks for helping! :)

- Windows 7 64bits

- I tried the network in safemode, and it did work, but not any better.

- Now i have the new driver, from 07.07.2009, but it didn't get any better :( rather worse :P

7 Posts

August 14th, 2013 11:00

Any other suggestions?

7 Posts

August 16th, 2013 11:00

Please, I need some help. Let me know if there is any info you need to help me!

Here is the latest driver i installed

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 16th, 2013 11:00

Gemrick,

Please continue with Dell-Rajesh R

Go to Drivers & Downloads enter your service tag number, then select your operating system. Under Network, download and install the latest drivers.

Try these tweaks....

Start, control panel, device manager. Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Click on Advanced. Look for Antenna Diversity. Change the Antenna Diversity from Auto to Aux.

Go to the power options, and changed the Wireless Adapter Setting, from Maximum Power Setting to Maximum Performance.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 16th, 2013 15:00

Gemrick,

Sorry I could not see your other images.

Sounds like you're happy with the results?

Rick

7 Posts

No, I tested it in at 14/16 before the changes, after the changes at 16/16... no big difference. I should at least get 50/50, my MacBook, gets 60/60, and it stands right next to it.

7 Posts

I had the latest driver, as my previous post showed.

So i tried your, Rick, solution.

First i measured my speed, at lousy 14/16:

I unchecked the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power:

I sat the  Antenna Diversity from Auto to Aux:

I changed the power settings, from Maximum Power to Maximum Performance:

Then I measured my "new" network:

Great success, I pumped it up to 16/16....... :emotion-6:

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Gemrick,

The Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Half Mini Card is a single band wireless card that works on 2.4GHz ONLY, so speeds will be limited. Not sure what adapter you have installed on the Mac. Is it a wireless N? Use 5.0GHz or 2.4GHz? If 2.4GHz, does it use dual streaming?

If you run Network Interface it will show you the speeds of your adapter. Not sure if this can be run on a Mac.

Rick

7 Posts

February 12th, 2014 11:00

The Dell 1397 Mini-Card is a b/g rated wireless adapter. However, your router is N rated, thus the N600 name. G ratings max out at 54mb download, however, I had the same issue with performance. I have 65MB down when hardlined and 21 running wirelessly.

Your best bet is to buy a Dell DW1515N rated wireless mini-card and swap out your current one. I just bought one on Amazon and it cost me only $25. Here's a  link to that item if you're interested.

It's very simple and can be done in about 2 minutes. Here's a tutorial video to help.

No Events found!