Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 18th, 2011 09:00

Dell Wireless 1520 PCIe card - Very slow connection

Hi

First post, please forgive me if posting protocols breached.

I have a Dell Precision T3500 tower running Windows 7 Ultimate. This was built and shipped in March 2011 equipped with a EMEA Dell Wireless 1520 PCIe card, which has a wireless antenna attached to the port. The PC is about 30ft from the wireless router, a BT Home hub.

From outset I noticed that I was gettimng very slow connection speeds to the internet, but supposed this was because our broadband was using a standard BT line with copper cables, and we are some 3 miles from the BT exchange. I was getting speeds of around 300-500kb/s. Rubbish, I know.

BT have just finished installing BT Infinity in my area, offering 'up to 40mb/s' speeds. I upgraded on Friday of last week.

Here's the problem: we have three laptops in the house and they are now all getting between 15mb/s-20mb/s speeds, including my Dell Inspiron laptop which is using a Dell Wireless 1501 Mini Card to connect wirelessly. Sat next to this laptop is my Precision tower, with the wireless antenna. However, the PC is getting a speed of only 3mb/s.

The modem and router are obviously working fine. Forget 40mb/s, I am quite happy with 15mb/s. But why is the PC wireless speed so poor?. For a brief five minutes or so on Friday the PC DID get 15mb/s but not since then. I cannot see any way to configure the wireless card to increase the speed.

I tried disabling the Dell network adaptor, and installed and plugged in a Belkin USB wireless adaptor (on which my wife's PC had achieved 15mb/s) but this slowed the wireless even more - to around 100kb/s.

Am I obviously doing something wrong? Could the Dell wireless adaptor be faulty as it has never achieved decent speeds)? Any other suggestions please?

Thanks

3 Posts

December 20th, 2011 06:00

Okay, sorted it. It was as simple as clearing the cache, cookies and history. I am now getting speeds of 12mb/s.

3 Posts

December 18th, 2011 10:00

Hi

The firewall doesn't seem to make any difference. I have been monitoring the speeds all day, and they have crept up a little in the .last couple of hours to a maximum of 7mb/s - which is significantly better. But the laptop is now running at 18mb/s so I suspect it is a general increase in speed at the modem.

The router settings haven't been touched, but would a problem there not be reflected across all wireless devices (which clearly is not the case)?

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 18th, 2011 10:00

Firewalls can cause problems like this.

Are you doing anything with the router such as MAC filtering?

No Events found!