Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

July 30th, 2011 09:00

Dell Wireless 3300 not able to join network

Hi, I am a new member of the Dell Community and have been following threads regarding the wireless 3300 printer adaptor.

My computer and my wife's computer are networked through an ATT U-Verse 3800 HGV-B wireless modem.  We use the wireless network for Internet and printing.  We do not use any other type of router.  Recently our wireless modem was replaced.  My Belkin F5D8053 N Wireless USB adaptor had no problem connecting to the wireless network after I entered the new network name and security key number.  Both of our computers now have internet service.  My Computer is a Dell T7500 running XP professional.

My 3300 wireless printer adaptor is unable to re-join the network.  When I run the Dell Wireless Printer Adaptor 3300 Setup Wizard (with the adaptor and computer linked together with USB cable) the new network is detected.  The channel is listed as "auto", the security protocol is "WPA-PSK", the mode is "infrastructure" and the status is "active".  Next I enter the WPA-PSK security key number and proceed to the next step to verify that the printer adaptor can access the network.  Unfortunately the connection fails with "unable to join network".  I am unable to go on to the next step: that is to connect the Dell 2230d wireless printer to the 3300 printer adaptor.

I don't think that the WPA-PSK security protocol is the reason for failure to access the network because this protocol was being used with the previous ATT U-Verse wireless modem.  At that time the 3800 printer adaptor and wireless printer worked without any issues.

Any suggestions?  A new 3300 adaptor is much cheaper that a Dell Service contract, but a new wireless adaptor may not be the answer.  I haven't been able to find any other means to correct the problem.

Can anybody please help?!

Regards jrob9401

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 30th, 2011 14:00

jrob9401,

I would recommend using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings in your wsireless router, I use channel 11.

The instructions for Setting up the Dell Wireless Printer Adapter 3300

Since I don't have the make and model of your computer and operating system, 32-bit or 64-bit, and the make and model of the Dell Printer your trying to install, it can get vague. You'll need to setup the printer, like you did when it was new. The 3300 needs setup after you fix the setting in your wireless router. Make sure it connects to your network before proceeding. After the 3300 is connected to your network, then you need to uninstall the printer, then restart your computer. There is a removal patch for most printer for Vista/Windows 7 systems. Install the printer, choose network, then follow the instructions.

Any questions feel free to ask. My weekend to work, so the replies may be a little delayed.

Rick

2 Posts

July 31st, 2011 16:00

Rick,

When I attempted to update the firmware for the 3300 I encountered a problem.  In the detect IP address step my 3300 wireless printer adaptor was not found!  I had the router connecter to the computer via USB cable during the scan.  The following steps depend on my being able to select the adaptor from the list of found print servers.  Since nothing was found I am dead in the water.  Maybe this will help.

Thanks for the welcome.

Jim

PS My original post was long, but if you read it again you will find info on my computer, operating system and wireless printer.  

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 31st, 2011 17:00

Jim,

Yes, sorry I missed the printer. I think I must have overlooked it because I usually don't know much about the Dell Laser printers.

Press and holde the little reset button in the back of the 3300 for 60 seconds. This should get it back to factory. I can't remember if I unplugged it, then also pressed the reset button for 60 seconds, too.

I used these Recommended Wireless Router Settings I used channel 11 and making a NEW SSID will make connecting easier.

The problems with the 3300 I found that trying to connect it to the network it was already setup for. Try to have it find your neighbors network. Tell it to connect. Fake a password. You'll get it will not connect, then tell it to find your network. It should then find it. Your password needs to be 13 characters long or it will not connect.

Once the 3300 finds your network and connects, then you can proceed with installing the printer. It will be a new installation.

Rick

No Events found!