Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 3rd, 2010 11:00

Dell Wireless Utility - Weird startup issue

Hi,

Looking for ideas on how to handle a strange problem.  I have slow/balky wireless connection at startup on my Dell Inspiron 1510, running XPSP3.  using the Dell Wireless Utility, wireless takes up to several minutes to appear at startup...then has to be repaired several times before it connects.  Then all seems fine...until the next restart.  Other computers have no problem connecting to the wireless service.

Googling around, the standard advice is to let Windows manage the wireless connection.  However, when I tried this, the wireless wouldn't work at all!  The "Windows Zero Configuration" service seems to be running, but no connection.  So it's back to Dell Wireless Utility, slow startup, etc?

Any thoughts on this?  I even had a computer pro look at this, and he was stumped.  Possible software conflict at startup...but with what?  The only thing we can think of to do at this point is try a repair install of Windows XP.  I am definitely open to suggestions!  Thanks for any help.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 3rd, 2010 11:00

TOBmed,

I would look at Windows startup programs. What are they? Are they required? How can I disable them? See if that helps with starting the computer faster. The computer being XP, probable means the computer does not have a lot of RAM, so it will load slower.

Try scanning for Malware? Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, update and do a quick scan. Report back if it finds anything.

What virus protection are you using?

Rick 

11 Posts

December 3rd, 2010 12:00

Hi Rick!  Yeah, as mentioned, I had a computer guy look at this.  We did all stuff, including running Malwarebytes.

Whatever it is, it is nothing common!  That's why I'm considering doing an XP repair install...as the computer guy says, it's short of a "shotgun appraoch."  But otherwise I am out of ideas.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 3rd, 2010 13:00

TOBmed,

My wife has XP but I don't usually use her computer. She uses it occasionally.

I used to use TuneXP on my old computer. It helped it start quicker and also connect faster.

Depending on how many files and folders you have, I would suggest to make copies of files and folders that you cannot afford to lose. You may want to try restarting your computer and press F12 and run the full diagnostics, before jumping into things. Make sure everything is working properly. If everything passes, then, you could try and XP repair but maybe a reinstall would be better.

Restoring Your Computer´s Software to the Factory Settings

Longer method is...

How To Restore or Reinstall Microsoft® Windows® on a Dell™ Computer make sure to install the desktop/notebllk utility and the chipset drivers first, or the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Install Drivers in Microsoft® Windows® on Dell Systems

To repair XP...

Insert the Operating system disk and restart your computer.

Press any key to boot from CD.

Choose install.

Do the agreement.

Now choose repair. Leave the operating system disk in until you see the Welcome Screen. Takes about 35 minutes. You'll then have to get all the Windows Updates again(more painful).

Rick

11 Posts

December 3rd, 2010 14:00

Oh really...?  I knew that restoring to factory condition was an option on my Win7 machine, was not aware that might be an option for my XP machine as well.  I am checking into this...

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 3rd, 2010 14:00

TOBmed,

Later models of XP is when it started. It may or may not have a recovery partition.

Rick

11 Posts

December 4th, 2010 04:00

Yeah, that's the case here, unfortunately!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 4th, 2010 13:00

TOBmed,

Such is life. Things just can't work out the easy way.

If only this button worked.

Rick

11 Posts

January 11th, 2011 14:00

Hey Rick (if you're still out there...or anyone else who may be interested),

Poking around on this machine the other day, I noticed that it does indeed seem to have a "system restore" partition on the c drive~!  This is despite the fact that it shipped late in '08...well before the 05/09 date mentioned in the support article.

So if the partition is there, system restore should work, right?  Any reason why I shouldn't try it?  I did actually get the disks for this machine, so repair install is still an option.  As always, any help appreciated....

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 12th, 2011 03:00

TOBmed,

ALWAYS make copies of files and folders that you cannot afford to lose. This should be a normal practice.

Using the recovery partition will probably wipe out your files and folders. A repair, if done correctly on a Dell computer, will repair the operating system and possibably keep the files and folders intact.

Go for it, if you want to restore back to factory. If it doesn't work, then it might be corrupt.

Restoring Your Computer´s Software to the Factory Settings

The longer procedure is...

How To Restore or Reinstall Microsoft® Windows® on a Dell™ Computer and make sure you How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order very important.

Still here, sometimes on a delay, depending on my work schedule.

Rick

No Events found!