Highlighted
oryx27
Bronze

Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility & Windows 7

Jump to solution

Hello All,

I received my Windows 7 upgrade discs today and when I popped in the Windows 7 upgrade assistant disc, it scanned my system for incompatible software. Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility was the only item on the list. The message reads:

"A Windows 7 compatible version of this software is not available in the upgrade DVD. Download a Windows 7 compatible version of this software from the vendor's web site."

I've Googled this and searched the Dell web site and forums but have not seen anything about this. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

I am running 64bit Vista Home Premium Edition on a Inspiron 1545 laptop. 

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. 

0 Kudos
24 Replies
lrlinhart
Copper

Re: Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility & Windows 7

Jump to solution

I upgraded to  Win 7 earlier this week and had several compadability issues. The disk never mentioned the WLAN Card issue tho. It seems to work like before EXCEPT the Diagnostics all "fail" even tho the utility does seem to work ok. No other input as of now.

Larry

0 Kudos
NemesisDB
Diamond

Jump to solution

The Dell utility does not do that much (in terms of features added).  Consider removing it and letting Windows 7 manage the wireless connection.

elmopoo
Copper

Jump to solution

im having the same trouble with my insprion 1318. how do i let windows manage the wireless connnection?

0 Kudos
oryx27
Bronze

Jump to solution

After reading the previous post, I decided to go ahead and uninstall the Dell Wlan card utility software. When Windows 7 started up, Windows automatically took over the connection. I didn't have to set it, it just came up as part of the set-up.

NemesisDB
Diamond

Jump to solution

im having the same trouble with my insprion 1318. how do i let windows manage the wireless connnection?

Elmopoo, I don't have it installed so I can't give you exact instructions.  That said, you should be able to remove it like any other software via control panel.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

After reading the previous post, I decided to go ahead and uninstall the Dell Wlan card utility software. When Windows 7 started up, Windows automatically took over the connection. I didn't have to set it, it just came up as part of the set-up.

I can confirm I did the same and all worked fine.

Thanks to NemesisDB

0 Kudos
NemesisDB
Diamond

Jump to solution

Glad it's working for everyone

0 Kudos
oryx27
Bronze

Jump to solution

Yes, thanks Nemesis.

I finished the install/upgrade last night and everything is working.

0 Kudos
pbockler
Copper

Jump to solution

I tried to install the upgrade today.  When I uninstalled the WLAN Card Utility, I lost my internet connection.  That scared me so i quit and did a system restore.  So are you saying that I will lose my wireless internet connection, but if I finish with the upgrade I will get it back??  I am not that knowledgeable about what to do if I don't get wireless capability again, so I would rather not do the upgrade than take the risk unless I know it will be OK after the upgrade. 

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos