Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 3rd, 2011 18:00

Dell Wireless WLAN Card Wireless Network Controller has stopped working

"Dell Wireless WLAN Card Wireless Network Controller has stopped working"

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Please close the program.

I started receiving this pop-up yesterday on my Inspiron 1520 followed by Microsoft giving me suggestions as to what the problem was.  It kept appearing over and over.  I finally turned off the microsoft help (which turned off all help), but I continue to get the above message.   Any ideas?

Thanks!

Cindy

January 4th, 2011 07:00

I have the Vostro 1500 and I started getting the same message this morning...Jan 4th 2011...except my message ends with ...Network Controller stopped working and was closed.

Anybody know how to help us?

Thanks!

Bonnie

11 Posts

January 4th, 2011 12:00

I have a Inspiron 1721 and have gotten this error message ever since I' ve owned the laptop. No one seems to answer this question on any forum!!!!

January 7th, 2011 10:00

Thank you for that idea Dell-Jesse. I have not tried that yet but I hesitate to do something that I don't know how to accomplish when this just seems to be an annoyance rather than an actual problem. It isn't affecting any working capabilities with my actual network, and there have been several times where I've started another program that interrupted whatever causes the message to come on...and it has gone off. I also went to the Dell WLAN wireless interface from my Control Panel (after I got the message shut off, and ran the diagnostic...and it says everything is in working order.)

Bonnie Calhoun

• 

16.7K Posts

January 7th, 2011 10:00

ceswellman,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum,

Have you tried uninstalling and then reinstalling the drivers for the wireless? If not, try it to see if it will resolve your issue.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 7th, 2011 11:00

Bonnie Calhoun,

Are you using Avast?

Rick

January 7th, 2011 11:00

Uh oh...yes I am :-(...and this started happening the instant that I accepted the new version update for Avast and it started loading. My machine had been on for an hour already and the WLAN message had not been there before the update started. :-(

Bonnie Calhoun

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 7th, 2011 12:00

Bonnie Calhoun,

Seems that Avast's Update has caused issues with Dell's Network adapters connecting.

Read THIS THREAD.

A temporary fix it to try disabling Avast's Behavior Shield or uninstall it. Some have gone as far as to uninstall Avast and download Avast 5.0.677 and things work again. 

Rick

January 7th, 2011 12:00

Bingo! I read the other thread. That is the exact version that I updated to and the problem started almost the instant that the update started. I will go back to the version that you suggested and see if that helps. I will have to do it later on tonight, but I will update and let you know how it goes.

Thank you very much.

Bonnie Calhoun

January 7th, 2011 14:00

Thank you very much Rick! That was exactly the problem! As soon as I uninstalled the new version of Avast, the error message went away. I have reinstalled that earlier version of Avast! I really love that ani-virus program...but that lady scares the bejeebers out of me sometimes when I don't expect her voice!:emotion-3:

Thank you again!

Blessing to you and Dell-Jesse for taking the time to answer my problem and present solutions.

Bonnie Calhoun

1 Message

January 7th, 2011 15:00

Help!  I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 with vista and now not able to connect to my wireless router.  I don't know what drivers

I need to install  in order to get this to work.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 7th, 2011 15:00

Bonnie Calhoun,

Glad you got it workimng! Thanks for posting back. This issue was just noticed in the past few days and since I follow some threads, I have found that there was an issue. The issue is oNLy with Dell wireless cards. Avast is aware of the problem and is working to fix the issue.

Take Care,

LucyKidd,

Do you have Avast installed as a virus program? Maybe you should make a new thread. Dell Networking, Internet, Wireless Forum Make and model of your computer and operating system. 32-bit or 64-bit? Recently reinstall the operating system? Any clue to what happened?Was this working before?

Rick

No Events found!