Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 3rd, 2016 07:00

Dell XPS 13 9360 Wifi disconnection and router AP crash Issues

Hi All,

I received my brand new Kaby Lake powered Dell XPS 13 9360 a couple of weeks back and I have been suffering from wifi disconnect issues since then. The USB LAN connection works perfectly using the Dell USB C adapter.

I have tried all the standard troubleshooting steps:

1. BIOS and Killer 1535 Wireless Adapter Driver updated to latest version  (including uninstalling and reinstalling the wireless drivers)

2. Updated Windows 10 to the latest anniversary edition

3. Changed Power Saving settings on the Wireless Adapter using Powershell commands as there are no Power management options for the Killer Wireless adapter in Device Manager 

(Disable-NetAdapterPowerManagement -Name "Wi-Fi" -NoRestart)

After running the above command I get the status of the relevant power mgmt parameters as below (though not sure if its really effective)

DeviceSleepOnDisconnect : Inactive
WakeOnMagicPacket : Disabled

4. Installed the latest Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows 10

Even after running step 1 and then later step,2 the wifi connection used to disconnect after some time (especially when a large file was being downloaded or any high network usage activity). Running a speed test of my broadband connection is a sure way to disconnect from wifi. More importantly this disconnection used to crash the Access Point on my TP-Link WR841N router which caused all my other devices to lose network connection as well and required a Router restart.

After steps 3 and 4 I have noticed the Wifi disconnections are not happening any more (atleast for now), but the Access Point crashes continue as it is, so effectively the wifi does not disconnect but the router AP crashes and needs a Router restart.

So my question to you all is do I need to change any config on the Wireless setup of my router to ensure the AP does not crash, or the should I change my router and get an AC router. If the router might not be the issue then it might be due to Windows 10 and the known issues with the Killer 1535 Wifi adapter itself.

I tried changing the Channel Width to 20 MHz but it reduced the network bandwidth and gave me 1/3rd of the available speed. 

Any help and pointers especially keeping my specific router issue in mind would be much appreciated.

Thanks

1 Message

January 18th, 2017 22:00

I am also having the same issue

4 Posts

January 24th, 2017 03:00

Those "Killer Wireless" cards are a real problem here as well.

We use several XPS13 in a company, for years - now after the first new model arrived using a "Killer 1535". Trying all available drivers and 2 useless calls to Dell support i ended up replacing the card by a DW1820 which was shipped in previous models, and issues are gone.

The Killer 1535 just loses packets almost everywhere in two of our offices, its entirely useless without a proper driver. The person using the laptop reported the only real place it was working well was his home connection.

Our Access points are Ubiquiti Unifi, from >200 devices there is just one which doesnt work: that XPS13 with a Killer Wireless.

Today i learned from our Dell Sales Person i need to find another Model because all XPS13 are now equipped with that card, and it doesnt make any sense to order a model you know it doesnt work in advance.

If you search for older posts, there are a lot of references to problems with "Killer Wireless" cards in Dell Hardware, i dont understand why thats not addressed.

two Examples from this forum:

en.community.dell.com/.../19666731

en.community.dell.com/.../19658353

2 Posts

January 24th, 2017 07:00

If you are using a European version of the TP-Link Archer C7 V2, you can solve the problem by installing the following beta firmware: (yes, it works!)

static.tp-link.com/ArcherC7v2_en_eu_up.zip

1 Message

January 26th, 2017 23:00

Don't you suppose that the European beta firmware would work on any Archer C7 V2?

5 Posts

January 29th, 2017 13:00

Same Problem here with a Dell XPS 13 9360 (touch QHD, I7, 512 SDD, 16Gb Ram).

I'm embarrassed to join Wifi in meetings for example.

Why don't they recall or send a new WIFI card (other than a Killer one)???

Better yet, why no one from Dell comments these threads?? Awful and disrespectful attitude on Dell's behalf!

1 Message

February 1st, 2017 00:00

I have a Dell XPS 15 (9550) with the same chip, Killer 1535, running Windows 10.

Had the same problem as above when running without any power source connected. My computer broke the AP and I had to restart it in order to get it to work again.

Changing the power saving mode for the wireless adapter to maximum power solved the problem for me.

I followed the instructions found here:

support.microsoft.com/.../you-may-experience-connectivity-issues-or-performance-issues-when-you-connect-a-mobile-pc-that-is-running-windows-to-a-wireless-access-point

(the same instructions applied for windows 10)

Good luck!

[tag:stillwaitingfordellto]solvethemainissue

34 Posts

February 1st, 2017 15:00

On the Dell 9630's, we do not have any other power saving mode other than "Balanced". Won't let us change with the method you posted. There is a post before which let you change power savings on the adapter itself. This didn't change anything though for the Archer C7 -> Killer router crash.

C:\Users\Cody>powercfg /l

Existing Power Schemes (* Active)
-----------------------------------
Power Scheme GUID: 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e (Balanced) *

5 Posts

February 1st, 2017 17:00

With mine, even with ac plugged in it acts the same way.

On the office direct to router (wifi) it drops much less (appears to be only when suddenly you push higher download (ex.: youtube 4 or 8K).

At home with a wifi AP (router ---- AP ----- XPS 13 9360), it lasts only the first minute or so. Can only use the same AP with other clients after power cycling the AP.

I keep readnig that with Intel card (instead of the Killer) this is permanently solved. Anyone confirms? Thanks, Xv

9 Posts

February 4th, 2017 01:00

I am too having this issue with my Dell XPS 9360 and TP-Link Archer C60 router. I don't think the router is to blame, cause I can reproduce the error when connected to my phones hotspot. And when the Wifi crashes, it still works on my girlfriend's mac.

I am in contact with Dell and they will, if i proceed, send out a technician. But i suspect that this will not fix the issue. What shall we do!? This is so annoying.

3 Posts

February 13th, 2017 08:00

What is WMM?

3 Posts

February 13th, 2017 08:00

Just bought XPS 13 2 days ago. I am also having exact same problem. After 20mins to 30mins TP link router crashes and never comes back until and unless I manually restart the router.

34 Posts

February 17th, 2017 04:00

I feel the same. A new 2017 machine which crashes my router every time i trasnfer a large file. I can't use this machine for work, which is why I bought it... I still use my 5 year old Acer. I know TP-Link is working hard on the issue. And Killer has great and responsive customer support, but they do not have a Archer C7, or any QCA988x chipset router to test on. So they can't get around to working on the issue until they have the hardware to reproduce it. Meaning, I think they will get around to it, but it'll be another few months...

I can't wait 2-3 more months and just have the laptop collecting dust in the meantime... No word on Dell even showing intrest in this issue. Either they need to provide pressure to Killer or replace the WiFi card with a $35 Intel one free of charge for those affected...

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

February 17th, 2017 04:00

Can we at least have an official aknowledgement by Dell that they are working with the adapter manufacturer in order to fix the problem ?  It's a pity in 2017 to have such a buggy driver that prevent from transfering large files.  My 8 year old dell Latitude works without a hitch and my brand new XPS 13 keeps dropping the wifi connection...

5 Posts

February 17th, 2017 05:00

I guess they will continuing acting like these threads reporting XPS wifi problems don't even exist!!! Shame on Dell and unlucky those who bought an expensive piece of PROBLEM!!!!  

6 Posts

February 18th, 2017 07:00

I have the same issue, has anyone contacted dell customer service about their problem?  What do they say?

a workaround that works for me is changing Network Adapter Properties/Advanced Tab/Wireless Mode/03 - 11 b/g

but that cripples the wifi

No Events found!