Highlighted
1 Copper

RE: Dell XPS 13 9360 Wifi disconnection and router AP crash Issues

Jump to solution

SO frustrated! After quite a bit of research I decided to get the XPS 13 9360, which finally showed up 3-4 weeks ago. Since then I've been loosing my wifi connection and the modem is constantly rebooting.

Initially I was convinced it must be the cable modem. My ISP replaced the modem, changed cables and all connections etc., but it didn't solve anything. Then I came across this thread.

I spent 1.5hrs on the phone with Dell the other day and they were trying various things to troubleshoot the problem without any success. The last suggestion was to re-install Windows! At that point I snapped! Now Dell wants to send a technician to install another "Killer" card. I'm curious to see how it goes, but am pretty fed up.

I just can't believe this is an obviously known problem and Dell doesn't do anything about it! We are not talking about a cheap laptop here. The first post was in December right?! So how is it possible that my laptop still has a faulty card in March! And the new drivers which were just posted don't fix anything either!

Definitely my last purchase from  Dell, and if the new card won't fix the problem I'll return the laptop!

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Same here. That's very embarrassing for Intel, especially for a "premium" laptop. If I had the opportunity I would have returned this computer. My wifi can't work steadily for more than 15 minutes.

Jump to solution

I had this problem (and a handful of others) Dell took in the device (took more than the 3-5 business days for repairs) and according to the note that came back with the device they: reseated the device, installed a driver, and replaced the wireless card.  

Problem recurred instantly.  So basically it's a typewriter except the other problem I had was that it would insert random spaces into words.  So not even that.

Now I'm on a $500 HP because I need something for exams coming up.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

So after many weeks on the phone with Dell, sending the device to them and that not fixing it.  Looks like they finally fixed it by sending someone to replace the WiFi card with something other than the Killer one.  (Only been a day though, don't want to jinx it).

Also, purely out of curiosity, did anyone else encounter this:  on my device, right before--it would shut down the router--I would hear a crackly static from the speakers on my desk.  Every time.  They were only hooked up to a Roku so it was super weird.  Very 'Stranger Things.'

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I received my new Dell XPS 13 9560 PC, powered it up, and immediately it began crashing my wifi network. This happened repeatedly and would occur anywhere between five minutes and one hour after powering up. Every time this happened, I would have to go to my loft, where my router is, turn the power off and on and wait for the network to come up again. Given I live in a rural area, and use the wifi network for my phone, not only did I lose internet service when this happened, but phone service as well.  

I was confident the new PC was the cause of the problem, since I’ve had my TP-LINK Archer C7 AC1750 Wireless Router for two years and never experienced this issue using our household’s other two computers: a high-end Mac Pro and a $200 HP Stream 11.  Plus, many friends and family have visited me and used their devices with no problem. So, I reported the problem to Dell Support. For four days, they had me installing various drivers and BIOS upgrades. They even had me upgrade the firmware in my router.

Meanwhile, I’d been researching the issue, Googling “Dell XPS 13 9560 wifi issues” brought up an article from Windows Central, “Having Wi-Fi issues with your Dell XPS 13? Here’s how to fix the problem.” The article went on to state “One small complaint about the stellar Dell XPS 13: The stock wireless card ***.” Their recommended solution: replace the stock Rivet Network’s “Killer” wifi card with the Intel 8265NGWMG wireless card.  For those of you out of warranty, it’s available for about $30 from Amazon. The article takes you step-by-step through the replacement process. Quite easy if you’re careful.

In my case, with my new PC, I didn’t want to risk voiding the warranty. On Day Four of my email and phone interactions with Dell Support, I brought up the fact that I had done some research and had found this article, plus many forum comments pointing to the Killer wireless card as being the culprit. Immediately, they agreed to have a technician drive to my house and replace the stock Killer wireless card with the Intel 8265NGW.

It took the technician only a short amount of time to replace the card, install the driver for that card and hand me – at last – a working Dell XPS 13. Now, several days of usage later, the network has yet to fail.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

had the same issues, followed the instructions on replacement in the above comment. Now everything works just fine with new Intel card

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

After hours on the phone to Dell I've not been able to convince them to replace the card for me. They state that they only replace like for like for faulty components under warranty. I mentioned all the previous cases and even linked them this discussion but no dice, even after explaining that I'll be using this in the field so upgrading firmware on a router doesn't help if I run into another tplink router in the wild.

We're a business customer so I'll attempt to escalate to our account manager but it's looking like all Dell want to do now is point to tplinks beta firmware as the answer

Highlighted
1 Copper

Re: Dell XPS 13 9360 Wifi disconnection and router AP crash Issues

Jump to solution

I've been fighting with this issue (Killer 1535 crashing my wifi network) for months with my new work laptop and I finally got it! emoticon.Surprise.title

I installed the Killer Control Center and included all of the available drivers, allowed it to terminate the existing connection during install, and it finally stopped crashing my network! So somehow this fixed it, even though installing the drivers directly from their website didn't. Shrug, anyways, I'm happy now 🙂

Highlighted
1 Copper

Re: Dell XPS 13 9360 Wifi disconnection and router AP crash Issues

Jump to solution

I can confirm that the Killer Control Center install fixed my new Dell XPS 13 with Killer wifi 1535 crashing my TP-Link Archer C7 router.