mauricioba
1 Copper

RE: Dell XPS 13 9360 Wifi disconnection and router AP crash Issues

Jump to solution

I had the same issue as everyone else: Dell XPS 9360 crashing the TP Link Archer C7 (AC1750) router. I wrote on TP Link forum, and they recommended that I install a beta firmware that they developed to solve this issue. 

Link to the beta firmware: http://static.tp-link.com/resources/software/ArcherC7v2_en_us_3_15_1_up(160511).zip

I have just installed it so I can't tell yet if it will work, but probably worth trying!

0 Kudos
gerardon2017
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Same problem for me , but with TP-LINK 841N . My new XPS 9360 causes the router to crash. Need a solution asap

dide-
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have the same problem with XPS 15 and TP-Link Archer 7 v2. I'm temporarily using an old router to avoid the problem, but need a solution ASAP.

Has anyone been able to resolve this problem so far?

gerardon2017
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Had  the same problem, disabling WMM on the router solved my connection. (Although  it cripples the connection speed )

Codster
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Had  the same problem, disabling WMM on the router solved my connection. (Although  it cripples the connection speed )

I tried this. I believe the problem occurs when you stress the WIFI out to the max of the connection. Disabling WMM did indeed stop the router crash, but I think only cuz the WIFI speed can't be maxed out. It reduces my network speed to around 1.5MB/s. I transfer files over LAN all the time, and this changes my 4min transfer to 60mins+. Which isn't a viable solution for me.

I have an Archer C7, with a Dell XPS 13 9360, Killer Wifi 1535. I can reproduce the problem very easily by just transferring a large 1GB file from 1 LAN computer to another LAN computer (from my Dell XPS via WIFI). Then as that transfers, if it doesn't cause the crash yet, you can just go to beta.speedtest.net, run a speed test, and it crashes almost 100% during the upload test. You can set the Killer Wifi to be on AC or N, doesn't matter with the 5GHz.

I can repeat the test on my old Acer, which has an Intel Wifi, running N on 5GHz (same everything just different WIFI card), and this machine can transfer the file just fine multiple times with no crash.

I'm on the latest BIOS, tried with the latest Dell Drivers. Tried with the latest Killer Drivers off their site. Nothing has fixed the problem. Tried with changing to N only on the killer. Tried changing to 80Mhz/40Mhz ac. Nothing.

The Killer Wifi is 100% to blame, but the router shouldn't crash just cuz one of the clients is being naughty. Dell (Killer) needs to release an updated Windows Network Driver ASAP which make it so their WIFI Card isn't CRASHING AP's randomly when you stress the network speed out. Also TP-LINK (QCA chipset really) needs to release an updated firmware that doesn't crash their router when a client is being naughty.

TP-Link is working with QCA as we speak to handle the bad client without crashing. Some patches have been made, but no official stable firmware has been released yet.

Is Dell working with Killer to fix their Driver to not act incorrectly causing malformed wifi packets and crashing the AP's? I hope so? I know Killer has had a BAD reputation with bad Drivers in the past. You know it's 100% a driver issue, cuz the Killer 1535 works just fine with the Ubuntu Driver on an Archer C7. It's only the Killer Windows Driver which is causing the issue. Same machine, differnt OS.

I got this Dell XPS 9360 for Christmas, and it's been nothing but headaches for the last few weeks. This Wifi Problem crashing my Router. The Sound drivers preventing playback of streaming videos (Netflix and such) within chrome. The Sound Service jumping to 30% CPU usage when in "conversations". Sound being very delayed at times. A small "Crackling" sound when no music is playing. The Precision Touchpad drivers with 2-finger scrolling act very laggy sometimes. My touchpad bottom right corner is recessed a bit, and not flushed with the palm rest. Bluetooth mouse discconects from the killer bluetooth about once an hour. And the BIOS Fn Lock Setting options are switched (wrong descriptions). Seems like A LOT OF DRIVER ISSUES DELL... 

I feel like I may have to return my Dell XPS 9360. Or have Dell replace the Killer 1535 with an Intel 8265 for now... as I need to transfer larger files over to my other LAN computers often. Having to reboot my router every hour is wasting too much of my time.

jairon
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I am also having the same issue

mtxlb
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Those "Killer Wireless" cards are a real problem here as well.

We use several XPS13 in a company, for years - now after the first new model arrived using a "Killer 1535". Trying all available drivers and 2 useless calls to Dell support i ended up replacing the card by a DW1820 which was shipped in previous models, and issues are gone.

The Killer 1535 just loses packets almost everywhere in two of our offices, its entirely useless without a proper driver. The person using the laptop reported the only real place it was working well was his home connection.

Our Access points are Ubiquiti Unifi, from >200 devices there is just one which doesnt work: that XPS13 with a Killer Wireless.

Today i learned from our Dell Sales Person i need to find another Model because all XPS13 are now equipped with that card, and it doesnt make any sense to order a model you know it doesnt work in advance.

If you search for older posts, there are a lot of references to problems with "Killer Wireless" cards in Dell Hardware, i dont understand why thats not addressed.

two Examples from this forum:

en.community.dell.com/.../19666731

en.community.dell.com/.../19658353

0 Kudos
dide-
1 Copper

Jump to solution

If you are using a European version of the TP-Link Archer C7 V2, you can solve the problem by installing the following beta firmware: (yes, it works!)

static.tp-link.com/ArcherC7v2_en_eu_up.zip

0 Kudos
Hemloco
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Don't you suppose that the European beta firmware would work on any Archer C7 V2?

0 Kudos
Xis_
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Same Problem here with a Dell XPS 13 9360 (touch QHD, I7, 512 SDD, 16Gb Ram).

I'm embarrassed to join Wifi in meetings for example.

Why don't they recall or send a new WIFI card (other than a Killer one)???

Better yet, why no one from Dell comments these threads?? Awful and disrespectful attitude on Dell's behalf!