Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 12th, 2016 04:00

Dell XPS 13 9360 - Wifi dropping out (or not connecting) and screen flickering

Hi 

I just received my new Dell XPS, i7 12gig Ram 9360 and I have the following issues. 

The wifi connection is very poor in that i need to be near the router for it to connect. All my other devices such as a win7 laptop, phone, android tablet and smart tv all connect to my router with no issues whatsoever. I can use my mobile as a hot spot and it connects perfectly with the laptop.

When the laptop connects its very slow and occasionally drops out. 

In addition, the screen flickers off and back on again randomly for a couple of seconds! 

Searching on the web and forums these are issues with the last model? I would have thought these would be fixed in the new 9360 

As far as I can see all the drivers are up to date for the Killerwifi and laptop.  Im really happy with the product but for a amount paid it should be working out the box!

Please can someone suggest some fixes? I am tempted to do a windows reset! 

Many thanks 

4 Posts

January 2nd, 2017 11:00

I have successfully talked dell technical support into sending me a replacement Intel wireless card. You guys should probably try the same if you're comfortable replacing it yourselves, if not, they will e mail you a shipping label and you can send back your xps 13 and they will replace killer with an intel card. People who replaced killer with intel 8265 report that all wi-fi issues are gone.

4 Posts

December 13th, 2016 14:00

Hi,

Same problem here with the wifi (did not notice something about the screen flickering...).

Never had a wifi connection problem with a lot of devices (2 other laptops, smartphones, tablet, ...) except this laptop (XPS 9360)

It seems to happens more often (should I say a LOT!!!) when the laptop wake up from deep sleep mode.

But happens also from a normal boot (or reboot). Tonight 2 deconnections in less than 1 hour.

After a deep sleep, that's sometimes every 2 to 5 minutes. Very boring!

I have tried a lot of things without success :(

- reinstall wifi drivers (even if already up to date), remove + install again (Note: it was a pain because none of the wifi driver version match the one proposed to download. You should fix something here!)

- changing some wifi settings :

* Dynamic MIMO Power Save : Disable (nothing change!)

* Roaming aggressiveness : (nothing changed!)

* Wireless Mode: (nothing changed!)

A quick test with a linux livecd seems to show that the wifi works well (but I can't be sure because the test was perhaps not enough long...)

I have spend a lot of time on this problem and it is becoming very painfull!

The wifi is the only way to connect a XPS to internet so we haven't alternatives. I think that, due to that, you should have more tested and provided something more reliable!!!!

It seems that quite some people have the same problem (on this version or the previous) and without fixes provided.

Could you give us some usefull informations how to fix it?

Thanks.

1 Message

December 14th, 2016 10:00

I have a XPS 13 9360 and I'm getting problems with wi-fi as well. I'm afraid I don't have a solution but it is driving me crazy.I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the latest killer 1535 drivers.It seems slightly better, but I'm still getting disconnections and watching iPlayer still buffers really badly, even if I am right next to the router, which by the way is at least 50mbps. My other laptop has no problems whatsoever. I also have latest updates on Windows 10.

I'm even tempted to get another network card, any suggestions? But I've spent a fair bit of money on this laptop and had it less than a week, so either their needs to be a decent resolution to this or Dell can send me a new card. Aside from this, I quite like the laptop.

2 Posts

December 16th, 2016 10:00

I updated to the new Bios and drivers.... and so far it seems to be working! Its streaming on youtube as it should be and so far no issues with it dropping out or any screen flickering like the previous model 

I will report back in a day or two if anything goes wrong 

4 Posts

December 18th, 2016 13:00

Win10, drivres and firmwares up to dates but still disconnexion problems :(

I will be really pleased if someone of dell give an answer and tell us if they are working on the problem!!!

December 29th, 2016 22:00

Same here folks, wifi is dropping randomly. I have updated the bios and reinstalled killer wifi drivers ==> nothing's changed. This is the only device I have with this problem so I am guessing that there is nothing wrong with my wifi. 

Any help will be much appreciated.

Cheers

4 Posts

January 1st, 2017 21:00

Same here. I can pretty reliably trigger it when I do an internet speedtest that spikes the throughput. The wireless still shows connected after that, but can't even ping router. I toggle airplane mode off and on and it continues working again. Other computers on same wifi are unaffected. 

4 Posts

January 1st, 2017 23:00

Same here, except mine won't stay connected for more than 5 minutes. I'm thinking of picking up intel 8260 or 8265 and install it myself. I hear that Dell may even send you one if you get through to their escalation team

4 Posts

January 2nd, 2017 08:00

Hey guys,

I want you to help me test 2 things...

The first one that I can't really confirm (and that a lot of testers could help to confirm quickly) is that it seems that the problem arise only when the laptop is on battery and not when plugged.

The second is that switching to "Wirless Mode" to "3 -11 b/g" in the device manager seems to fix the problem. See the advice found here:

www.reddit.com/.../

If you could test this 2 idea to confirm if it works/fails for you?

4 Posts

January 10th, 2017 17:00

I can confirm that after replacing the killer card with Intel 8265, wi-fi works like a charm.

12 Posts

January 20th, 2017 14:00

after sleep mode the wifi adapter is not recognized. Also I get disconnections from time to time at least twice per day at work

4 Posts

January 23rd, 2017 09:00

I also contacted support and got an Intel 8265. So far no issues.

1 Message

March 1st, 2017 12:00

I confirm that after switching from the beyond awful killer wireless card to the intel card all the problems are gone. At least for the past 48 hours, which is more than a day longer than ive had without crashing my router with my killer card. Ive never had a more displeasurable time dealing with anyone than ive had with dell trying to resolve this issue, but after it is hopefully ( fingers crossed) fixed, I can finally take a breath.

March 2nd, 2017 14:00

Hi folks - we have just posted a new wireless driver and software suite that addresses a known issue on a small percentage of systems where the Killer Wireless module will drop the WiFi connection when passing a large amount of traffic. We have worked closely with Microsoft on this, and have identified a fix. This fix has been confirmed with several users that currently have the issue and we have posted a new software package. Please visit the link below to get the new driver:

www.killernetworking.com/.../e2200-e2400-wireless

If there are issues after using this, please feel free to contact our support through our website for assistance.

www.killernetworking.com/.../contact

1 Message

March 3rd, 2017 09:00

My new machine came with the Intel 8265 card and had the exact same connectivity issues mentioned elsewhere with the Killer card.   I did a driver update but mine was the latest version and a repair install did nothing. I tried turning off the N in wireless mode and that has solved it (for at least 24 hours). I also set Roaming Aggressiveness to low.

Dell has offered to send a new card but it seems to be working well now.

No Events found!