Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 12th, 2016 04:00

Dell XPS 13 9360 - Wifi dropping out (or not connecting) and screen flickering

Hi 

I just received my new Dell XPS, i7 12gig Ram 9360 and I have the following issues. 

The wifi connection is very poor in that i need to be near the router for it to connect. All my other devices such as a win7 laptop, phone, android tablet and smart tv all connect to my router with no issues whatsoever. I can use my mobile as a hot spot and it connects perfectly with the laptop.

When the laptop connects its very slow and occasionally drops out. 

In addition, the screen flickers off and back on again randomly for a couple of seconds! 

Searching on the web and forums these are issues with the last model? I would have thought these would be fixed in the new 9360 

As far as I can see all the drivers are up to date for the Killerwifi and laptop.  Im really happy with the product but for a amount paid it should be working out the box!

Please can someone suggest some fixes? I am tempted to do a windows reset! 

Many thanks 

1 Message

March 6th, 2017 11:00

Yep tried it and no more drops. No need for intel cards, since this driver it's stable !

4 Posts

March 8th, 2017 14:00

@killernetworking I have updated the driver and still have a lot of disconnections :(

3 Posts

March 12th, 2017 18:00

I have just bought a new Dell XPS 9560 and I am very disappointed!

@killernetworking I have installed your latest drivers, however, I still have problems (13 March 2017) with my connection! It drops off very very(!) often, also with low load.

I can't navigate with a 1500£ machine...

1 Message

March 20th, 2017 11:00

Hello,

I tried the latest driver as you recommend but unfortunately shortly after my laptop did crash (BSOD). I did roll-back the previous version but I do still have drops of wireless connectivity.

1 Message

March 23rd, 2017 01:00

Personally for me the wifi works WAY better when plugged. Running on the battery alone, it stinks so bad. It is slower than my Desktop that is running on Vista! I've contacted support. I'm going to see what they come back to me with. Btw updating the drivers definitely did not solve the issue. Tried to attempt changing the power saving mode, but the change wireless adapter option did not exist. Sigh.

1 Message

March 25th, 2017 01:00

Even with the new Killer Wifi Driver, Dell still needs to replace the Killer card.   Dell is sending a technician to replace the card this week.  

1 Message

April 1st, 2017 07:00

Does this work for Killer 1535?  This shows for the E2200/E2400

3 Posts

May 5th, 2017 22:00

I updated The Killer suite from here: http://bit.ly/2qtiJpr

Changed Power settings on battery to Max performance on power Manager plan. Had to update tThe Windows registry to have the option enabled: http://bit.ly/2pjkvcF

Then went to Device Manager, selected properties on the network card, Advanced Options, Wireless options and selected mode 08 - 11 a/b/g/n

This fixed the issue for me definitely.

It seems the default power plan uses medium output when on battery, by changing to max performance it was fixed

4 Posts

May 21st, 2017 19:00

Small percentage? have you seen all the blogs about this issue? I will ask for the replacement of the wireless card. I can´t even download the driver that you suggested because this problem. It took me an hour to be able to put this post because ot the issue.

1 Message

June 8th, 2017 16:00

Hello

I have also problem with Killer card. It is killing my nerves. I invested a vast amount of time to solve it.

Where I can talk to tehnical support?

On which site? Thank you.

5 Posts

June 11th, 2017 08:00

I received my new Dell XPS 13 9560 PC, powered it up, and immediately it began crashing my wifi network. This happened repeatedly and would occur anywhere between five minutes and one hour after powering up. Every time this happened, I would have to go to my loft, where my router is, turn the power off and on and wait for the network to come up again. Given I live in a rural area, and use the wifi network for my phone, not only did I lose internet service when this happened, but phone service as well.  

I was confident the new PC was the cause of the problem, since I’ve had my TP-LINK Archer C7 AC1750 Wireless Router for two years and never experienced this issue using our household’s other two computers: a high-end Mac Pro and a $200 HP Stream 11.  Plus, many friends and family have visited me and used their devices with no problem. So, I reported the problem to Dell Support. For four days, they had me installing various drivers and BIOS upgrades. They even had me upgrade the firmware in my router.

Meanwhile, I’d been researching the issue, Googling “Dell XPS 13 9560 wifi issues” brought up an article from Windows Central, “Having Wi-Fi issues with your Dell XPS 13? Here’s how to fix the problem.” The article went on to state “One small complaint about the stellar Dell XPS 13: The stock wireless card ***.” Their recommended solution: replace the stock Rivet Network’s “Killer” wifi card with the Intel 8265NGWMG wireless card.  For those of you out of warranty, it’s available for about $30 from Amazon. The article takes you step-by-step through the replacement process. Quite easy if you’re careful.

In my case, with my new PC, I didn’t want to risk voiding the warranty. On Day Four of my email and phone interactions with Dell Support, I brought up the fact that I had done some research and had found this article, plus many forum comments pointing to the Killer wireless card as being the culprit. Immediately, they agreed to have a technician drive to my house and replace the stock Killer wireless card with the Intel 8265NGW.

It took the technician only a short amount of time to replace the card, install the driver for that card and hand me – at last – a working Dell XPS 13. Now, several days of usage later, the network has yet to fail.

This kind of experience puts a bad taste in your mouth about the new computer you just bought. In my case, a $1,346 configured version. I was extremely excited when the Fedex guy delivered it. Now, I’m trying to recapture that enthusiasm. It seems to be working great. I’m delighted with the physical design and operation of it now that it’s no longer crashing my network. But… I’m puzzled as to why Dell got cheap with the Killer wifi card instead of going with the Intel from the get-go. Perhaps only a small percentage of XPS 13 customers, for whatever reason, run into the problem that I did. But, from scanning the forums, there are enough folks who have and why would Dell want to tarnish their reputation for an otherwise top-notch laptop?

1 Message

July 3rd, 2017 15:00

Thanks it solved my problem!

1 Message

July 6th, 2017 01:00

hi

i tried the update you suggested (i tried the 30-may and the early-july ones) but i'm sitll experiencing issues with wifi connection.

the signal during use seems to be stable, but everytime i wake up the pc from sleep, i lose wifi connection:

i hear the classic plug-in windows sounds, the wifi icon disappers and the lan icon appears (but with the red x on it).

after a random amount of time (sometimes 10/15 seconds, sometimes a bit longer) the wifi icon is back and after that the signal.

what it seems to happen is a real "plug-out - plug-in" of the network adapter.

any idea on how to solve that? it is really annoying.

July 20th, 2017 13:00

Found this thread as I am having the same issues with the Killer Network WiFi card. I plugged in a Belkin N300 USB Wifi adapter and it worked with the hotel Wifi perfectly. Kinda *** to have to use a USB WiFi adapter on a premium laptop. A service request has been submitted to Dell asking for an Intel replacement to be sent.

Before anyone asks, I have updated the Killer WiFi card drivers from both the Dell and Killer sites. The problem persists.

August 1st, 2017 19:00

Following up on my earlier post, the Intel AC-8265 WiFi card fixes the issues I had with the Killer card. The only issue I had was with the Bluetooth. My Bluetooth mouse did not play well with the Intel card and the driver on the Dell site. Upgrading to the latest driver on Intel's site fixed the problem.

Credit to Dell for fixing the problem promptly.

No Events found!