Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 12th, 2016 04:00

Dell XPS 13 9360 - Wifi dropping out (or not connecting) and screen flickering

Hi 

I just received my new Dell XPS, i7 12gig Ram 9360 and I have the following issues. 

The wifi connection is very poor in that i need to be near the router for it to connect. All my other devices such as a win7 laptop, phone, android tablet and smart tv all connect to my router with no issues whatsoever. I can use my mobile as a hot spot and it connects perfectly with the laptop.

When the laptop connects its very slow and occasionally drops out. 

In addition, the screen flickers off and back on again randomly for a couple of seconds! 

Searching on the web and forums these are issues with the last model? I would have thought these would be fixed in the new 9360 

As far as I can see all the drivers are up to date for the Killerwifi and laptop.  Im really happy with the product but for a amount paid it should be working out the box!

Please can someone suggest some fixes? I am tempted to do a windows reset! 

Many thanks 

1 Message

August 18th, 2017 03:00

Switching to a different wireless mode solved the problem for me as well!

1 Message

August 19th, 2017 06:00

I read a few forums and have done the following which seems to have solved the issue on  Dell XPS 13 9360. The issues seems to be due to problems between intel and Killer.

Anything between * * needs to be filled with the name of the folder or file on your computer

I did the following:

1. Download the latest intel chipset driver for your laptop from the dell website section drivers & downloads, which for me was "Intel-Chipset-Device-Software-Driver_H41NR_WIN_10.1.1.44_A07_03"

2. Go to www.killernetworking.com/driver-downloads and click on "killer driver suite" in the top left hand corner and download "killer network manager suite" and either "killer control center 64-bit or 32-bit" depending on which windows you have (can type dxdiag into search bar and run the application to find out which one you have)

3. Uninstall all killer applications from your computer using add and remove programs in control panel

3. Type CMD in the search bar and right click then run as administrator

4. Type cd/

-hit enter-

5. Type cd c:\users\*username*\downloads\*Intel-Chipset-Device-Software-Driver_H41NR_WIN_10.1.1.44_A07_03.exe* /s /e=c:\mydir

-hit enter-

6. Type cd/

-hit enter-

7. Type cd c:\mydir

-hit enter-

8. Type setupchipset.exe -overall

-hit enter-

9. This will bring up the install screen for the chipset, follow the instructions and install the application (I had to switch off my wifi to complete the install)

10. Restart your computer

11. Install killer network manager

12. Restart your computer

13. Install killer control center

14. Restart your computer

This made the network card more stable and only stopped working under heavy loads when downloading at high speeds.

I've also gone to device manager and changed the roaming aggressiveness down and changed the wireless mode.

Hopefully that helps.

1 Message

September 3rd, 2017 02:00

Hi, i followed you and changed the wireless mode to '3-11 b/g' and this has solved the problem. My main issue was not being able to stream things in 1080p and occasionally the wifi would drop out or disconnect.

I was wondering though because i changed the wireless mode to this will that inhibit anything in future as surely I should be able to use the network card to its full potential.

Many thanks for the tip.

September 21st, 2017 17:00

Simple fix without having to replace the wifi card is to do the following

1. change csenable=1  in registry editor to csenable=0  (do a search under local machine section for this)

2. reboot

3. under power settings, select maximum power for wifi

This immediately solved the issue for me and wifi is now reliable with no drop-outs

17 Posts

October 10th, 2017 20:00

I have the same problems and looking forward to an Intel card.

1 Message

October 28th, 2018 11:00

Hi,

Have experienced the random disconnects from the Internet, often multiple disconnects per hour!     I have installed all applicable fixes thru Dell Assist.  I have performed most of the suggested remedies (except for reloading Windows 10 due to the customer files I work on.

I called Dell support and told them about my internet disconnect problem. (I never experienced the flickering screen problem.)    I told the agent that I wanted an Intel 8265 WIFI card based on others' successful resolution to the  problem    The agent initially pushed back and told me to send-in my laptop for repair.   I firmly said I cannot part with my machine due to the sensitive files on my laptop and the fact I cannot be without a PC for upwards of 10 days. 

I suggested that they send me the Intel card and told them that I would install it myself.  After much professional and honest discussion with the competent Dell agent, he received approval to send a technician to my house and have replace my Killer 1535 card with the much touted and proven solution, the Intel 8265 WiFi card.   

The tech replaced my card.   After the service, the Dell agent followed up with me to ensure the problem was resolved.  Nice touch!

Good news - It has been 4 days since the service and I am happy to report NOT a single disruption of internet service..  The Intel WIFI 8265 card rules!    Having a technical background and learning about all of the negative press and untold grief XPS customers have experienced,  I cannot understand why Dell has not replaced the Killer card with the Intel card.    

Last but not least, a BIG thanks to the Dell agent for addressing and resolving my WIFI problem, well above and beyond the normal course of duty!

1 Message

December 5th, 2018 11:00

12/2018: I have called Dell several times on this issue throughout this year  and was surprised to learn from this thread that this is a "known" issue. Each time I called they wasted hours of my time performing troubleshooting tasks that failed to resolve the problem: a Bios/driver update and a reload of the Windows 10 OS.  Ultimately, I spoke with a supervisor name Gerrick who claimed that there was no guarantee that a new internet card would be sent.  He even requested that I send the link to this community board to ascertain that other users had their connectivity issue resolved by having a new card sent - incredulous! I sent the link to this community board and he continued to state that  there was no guarantee though he would request a dispatch of a replacement. He also would not confirm whether it would be a Killer or Intel replacement, where I am only interested in Intel.

I will be writing a letter to Dell to express my frustration. I have had this product for nearly a year with constant internet connectivity issues and there has been no good faith effort on the part of Dell Support to resolve my concern as a customer.  I rely on this product for my business and have wasted several hours trying to resolve to no avail. 

I will not purchase another Dell product. The company does not stand behind it's product or warranty.

16 Posts

September 11th, 2019 17:00

Like everyone above I get these dropouts with the Killer card, however after the other issues I've had with this machine (I think I'm on my 4th or 5th now) I've begun to just ignore to occasional dropout and use it as a screen break.

Recently it's getting worse so I'm going to try and upgrade the Wifi Card. Intel have 2 new ones on the market:

Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200
Board Form Factor: M.2 2230
System Interface Type: Wi-Fi(PCIe), BT(USB)

Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX201
Board Form Factor: M.2 2230
System Interface Type: M.2: CNVio2

It seems the difference between the two is this CNVio2 interface, any idea if the 9360 with the 7th gen Intel i7-7500U is CNVio2 compatible?

1 Message

June 2nd, 2020 21:00

From a quick test, yes this did seem to work for me. 

THE PROBLEM, is that this removes 5g as a connection option and my connection speed drops from 200mbs, to 50mbs. I don't see that as a fix for a $2,100 computer. 

I'm running through all the fixes I can find online with no luck, PC is less than a month old.

No Events found!