Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 18th, 2012 08:00

Dell XPS 8300 - No Internet Access (Wired or Wireless Connections)

Hello: My Dell XPS 8300 has been connecting to the internet without a problem for months until this morning. This morning the computer will not connect either through the LAN or wifi adapter. The network tray icon has the yellow triangle and says "no internet access."

I have reset both the computer and router multiple times and I have also unplugged them in between. Other computers in the house connect to the router without a problem wirelessly. This leads me to believe there is something wrong with the networking/system software configuration. The computer can't ping the router. It may be the software/system config was corrupted in the last 24 hours and I may need to reinstall the operating system which I would rather not do.

It doesn't appear that any unusual software updates were made in the last 24 hours beyond Adobe Acrobat and Flash. There have been no system updates that I could identify within the last month or so. 

Any suggestions?

20.5K Posts

August 18th, 2012 15:00

Have you tried running System Restore? If that works, you could try installing your updates one-by-one and checking on your internet access after each one. That might give you a clue what was changed.

20.5K Posts

August 18th, 2012 12:00

Hi ahachey,
Welcome to Dell Community! :emotion-1:

Give this a try to see if it will restore your connectivity problems: http://complete-internet-repair.en.lo4d.com/

It is free and is compatible with XP, Vista, and Windows 7.

1 Message

August 18th, 2012 13:00

I'm having exactly the same problem with my Celeron desktop that has also occurred today after no previous problems

4 Posts

August 18th, 2012 14:00

Thank you for the suggestion. I ran the utility and still have "No Internet Access" warning in the system tray - no connection to through either the LAN or WiFi. The computer would also not connect with my cell phone wifi hot spot so I think it is a computer software issue and not the router. Can you recommend anything else?

4 Posts

August 18th, 2012 15:00

Thank you Bugbatter! System Restore worked perfectly and I am back on the internet. I noticed when selecting a restore point that an update was installed last night at 3:00am. The update must have "broke" the network settings. 

20.5K Posts

August 18th, 2012 18:00

You're welcome. :emotion-1:  I'm glad you're back online. 

1 Message

August 19th, 2012 23:00

Hi Im having the same problem with my dell comp, but I didn't create a restore point for my computer so I have no way to restore back to the old days, any other ways I could do to fix this problem?

3 Posts

August 20th, 2012 02:00

I f you have McAfee running that may be the problem, check the Mcafee support page(service.mcafee.com/.../TS101446.htm ) which has a tag regarding this. I believe they said you have to uninstall Mcafee and reinstall. I have not tried it yet but will keep you posted if it works

20.5K Posts

August 20th, 2012 04:00

Please see this article by McAfee:
Some customers may experience a loss of network connectivity and/or errors in McAfee Security Center after a recent update
http://mcaf.ee/s3b79

1 Message

August 27th, 2012 17:00

This appears to be the ticket for me.  I uninstalled Mcafee and my internet started working immediately.  Thanks for the link to the article!!

No Events found!