Highlighted
tinyminigenie
1 Copper

Dell XPS13 Windows 7; 64 bit; DNS Server not responding

Hi, I purchased the Dell XPS13 yesterday and took it home. I turned on the wireless and had internet access for a few minutes. Then it stopped working and the network diagnostic msg was "DNS Server not responding". All my other electronic devices at home are still working. 

I took it back to the original computer store to get a technician to fix it. The internet worked in the store. However, after I took the laptop back home it only worked for the first few minutes and stopped working again. 

I've tried disabling the firewall. 

What else can I do to fix the problem?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
7- Thorium

Re: Dell XPS13 Windows 7; 64 bit; DNS Server not responding

tinyminigenie,

Try power cycling the routers?

• Power off your ISP modem/router and your wireless router(if any) for 30 seconds. Then power on the ISP modem/router. Wait 15 seconds, then power on the wireless router(if any)

Restart the computer and try to connect.

What happens?

Can you connect in the same room as the router?

Did you setup the router? Make and model of the wireless router and the type of security you're using? What channel?

What virus program and firewall are you using?

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

0 Kudos
tinyminigenie
1 Copper

Hi Rick, thank you for looking into my computer problems:

Power cycling the routers:

After I've done that, I had internet connection on my Dell computer only for a few minutes. Then the Dell got disconnected again.

In comparison, the internet connection on all my other internet devices work fine.

Restart the computer and try to connect:

The problem persists

Can you connect in the same room as the router:

Same problem. It works for all electronic devices except my new Dell computer.

Did you setup the router? Make and model of the wireless router and the type of security you're using? What channel?

The router was already set up before I bought my new Dell. My other devices have been working fine with this router.

It's a ubee router. I don't really know what the model is.

What virus program and firewall are you using?

McAfee. I tried disabling the firewall. It doesn't make any difference.

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

tinyminigenie,

Try these tweaks...

Start, control panel, device manager.

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Go to each USB Root Hub and right click on it, left click properties, left click power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Restart your computer.

--------------------------------------

Start, control panel, device manager. Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Start, all programs, accessories, system tools, right click on command prompt, left click run as administrator. Type

ipconfig /flushdns          (space between the g and /)

Restart the computer.

This sayas it's for printers but actually gets you to the firewall settings. Allow a printer past McAfee

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

0 Kudos
josephbrown012
1 Copper

this is not enough for resolved this type of problem...

0 Kudos