Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 30th, 2009 11:00

Dell XT2 and Dell 5530 broadband adapter on Windows 7 32

As mentioned I have a XT2 with windows 7 (professional 32 bit) and I can't get the 5530 to actually work.

When I try with the dell connection manager then it tells me I have to activate the SIM card/modem (it is just a modem so it's not locked down and the SIM card is from Swedish 3 and works perfectly fine with my mobile).

I called support and got told to try with Ericson Wireless manager. I managed to install that and drivers but then when I try to activate the radio (it detects the modem and the sim card just fine) in the wireless manager it tells me: "Radio is disabled by the wireless switch. Return the switch to the "Enable" position."

I've been trying since I bought it in june and it hasn't worked with anything I've tried. If anyone has any advice I would be more than greatful.

3 Posts

January 18th, 2010 11:00

Tell me about it, I also have an XT2 with Windows 7 (32bit/prof) and have the same problems (I'm on Vodafone UK). For the last 2 months I've being using a USB 3G modem from Vodafone with my SIM card in that (bought the hardware on pre-pay for ~30 euros), at least that works every time. Half the time it says it hasn't been activated, the other half it does find the sim card and the very rare occasion it finds it it fails to connect (says connecting....). 

It did go through a phase a while back when I could tell windows to diagnose the issue (it would power off and back on the WWAN card) and it would start working...that doesn't work now!

I wish Dell could get their act together with this device, it works really nicely for most the features but then they go and have all this STUPPID Dell control point/manager nonsense when Windows 7 could work fine with out it!!!

Maybe try a clean install one day if, I hear the order in which you install the drivers is important. But actually finding some thing that tells you the correct order is almost impossible.

My recommendation is buy yourself a USB modem and use that, wait another month or two then try a clean install of windows 7 upwards. Maybe you'll get lucking (that's what I'm planning). Or buy a Windows  7 compatible mini-card off ebay, the 5530 seems really poor (hardware or software, who knows)

Matt

16 Posts

January 26th, 2010 06:00

I assume you've installed the win7 drivers from the dell website and that you can see the device (reported as functioning correctly) in Device Manager.

I found a similar problem to you when I first set mine up.  The trick appears to be the fact that the 5530 and WiFi adapters in the XT2 don't get along and you have to toggle between them (using Fn+F9).  When the WiFi lamp goes out, a few seconds later the 3G connection is detected by the Network & Sharing center.  You may have to provide the APN to enable your connection but in my experience many of the telcos information seems to be provided automatically.

I'm using Win7 natively.  I have no other 3G management software loaded.

Nigel

3 Posts

January 27th, 2010 02:00

Thanks Nigel,

I've told the battery and cards our (one of the guys here suggested that putting it apart to power it down fully would be a good idea), as part of this I ended up removing the keyboard and discovered the ribbon cable going from the sim card holder to m/board had "fell out". I put that back in now and all seems to be working alot better (but not perfect).

I'm now running without the dell DCP connection manger and just native win7 which seems ok. The problems I'm now experiencing is my 3G connection gets broke (routing to the internet stops!!) after a period of time (could be a couple of hours, could be a couple of minutes!). So I hit disconnect and nothing happens. Win7 Connection manager claims I'm connected but there's no route to the internet tried everything to fix without a reboot but nothing works, only a reboot fixes the problem. 

Any ideas?

Matt

3 Posts

April 21st, 2010 07:00

The good news is I finally have a stable 3G connection that doesn't blue screen the laptop frequently and works for me....

The bad news is that I did it by ripping the (for me) useless 5530 card out of the laptop and replacing it with a sierra wireless 8780 off ebay. now I all seems well and I can connect via wifi or (toggle Fn+F9) to HSPA and connect. The only down side is I have to use the sierra wireless dialer to connect to vodafone internet (the native Win7 stuff doesn't seem to work), still at least I get a clear picture of signal strength, speed, etc.

anyone want a nasty old 5530 :o)

Matt

No Events found!