boldadventurer
1 Copper

Dell is wonderful but IE and other things keep crashing my Gmail and my IE connections in the middle of things. Help.

I was given my XPS 1530 for Christmas a couple of years ago--my son both us both new laptops.  I finally got used to Vista...mostly, and then, foolishly, after it went out of BETA, upgraded to IE8.  I had troubles with IE7 so I thought this would be better.  I was seriously wrong.  I then took IE8 off, but still have no Adobe now and it won't install, I have shut off Defender, but still my Data Protection shuts down IE every few minutes and I am a heavy user since I am a Masters student and need to have all sorts of files and downloads going....and my Gmail is still in 'still working' I am sure.

These are not Dell problems but the 'help' from Microsoft etc is sooo poor--the help pages never tell you, or at least me, what to do about the problem that I have...the forums are full of suggestions but sometimes if I try them I end up with a real mess. 

Since my programs were the ones requested when my son had my laptop 'built', is there a Dell service in the Fort Worth-Dallas area that could just reset the thing?  Or put it 'right?'  I know there are dozens and dozens of service packs, and all sorts of things, but I am really tired of having my work lost, and having to copy my email into a Word document so I can paste it back into the email after I shut down the still loading and gmail, and then reopen it.

Can you offer me some advice, or a place to get good, simple advice?  I live overseas most of the time so I will have to wait to get back to the US (although Puerto Rico is theoretically the US, it isn't, if you know what I mean), and I am a mid-level user, but I hate to try anymore 'fixes' myself. 

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
apkobl
3 Argentium

Re: Dell is wonderful but IE and other things keep crashing my Gmail and my IE connections in the middle of things. Help.

You can uninstall IE8 using the remove programs feature.

0 Kudos