Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 2nd, 2007 17:00

Design defect on Dell 1420 Wi Fi Catcher Activity Indicator?

I now have two identically configured (same hardware and software) Inspiron 1420 (new) and I can't get the Wireless Activity Indicator light to come on. I've talked with Tech Support three times (Level 1 and 2). They thought it was the switch ans sent an in-home technician to replace the bottom casing of my first unit. When the Technician realized that the switch was fine and the indicator (LED light) was not coming on, I requested a new replacement unit. The second unit arrived with the same non-functioning LED.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I've gone to Staples office supply store that now sells Dell 1521 & 1721 laptops and both store display model's LED activity indicator lights up when both units are off and the switch is pushed to the ">>" position.

Having already insured (with Tech Support walking me through it) that Quickset as well as the BIOS have the Wi Fi Catcher enabled and Wireless settings enabled.

There are no problems connecting to wireless networks when the laptop is on and the switch does turn wireless On and Off.

Question to all Inspiron 1420 owners, how many of you can get your wireless activity indicator to light up when your laptop is OFF?  If enough owners respond that their LED indicators don't work, maybe we can get Dell to admit a design defect.

At this point, I don't know what else to do to get Dell to fix this issue and I assume they won't keep sending me new replacement laptops until I find one whose LED works.

7.9K Posts

December 2nd, 2007 17:00

i have the same switch on my latitude D430, though I had never tried using it.

for me, I have to push and hold the switch for a full second or two (in position 3 in your picture) until the LED comes on.  a quick push and release will not activate it.

142 Posts

December 2nd, 2007 18:00

Yes, I have done that for many times.  Full 2 - 5 seconds and even up to 10 - 15 seconds and still the light does not come on for the two 1420s. When I did that on the 1521 and 1721 store display models (for a few seconds), their LED lights came on without any problem.

If Dell didn't intend for the 1420s to have the LED light come on, they would not have written this capability (slide and hold the wireless switch in the momentary position for a few seconds...Wi-Fi Catcher Network Locator functions regardless of whether your computer is turned on or off) or they would not have the Wireless Activity Indicator (the LED light). 

That is why when I talk to Tech Support person and some of them says this is working as designed, I don't believe them.  I think they are just trying to close my case so that they don't have an open issue on their docket. 

I figured that if Dell lists the Wi Fi Catcher is listed as one of the units great feature, they intended it to work fully. Not just partially.

7.9K Posts

December 2nd, 2007 19:00

It does say that you have to initially configure it in quickset and or the bios for it to work -- which I assume you've done?

At the very least, it looks like it should be flashing green, even if there is no connection

• Flashing green: Searching for networks
  • Solid green: Strong network found
  • Solid yellow: Weak network found
  • Flashing yellow: Error
  • Off: No signal found

142 Posts

December 2nd, 2007 21:00

Yes. Quickset and BIOS are set to enable both Wi Fi Catcher (on Quickset) and Wireless (on the BIOS).

7.9K Posts

December 2nd, 2007 22:00

what bios options do you have for catcher?  i have enabled, disabled, and basic mode

basic mode *looks* like it disregards any settings quickset may have made and always makes it work.

331 Posts

December 2nd, 2007 23:00

Been following this since I noticed all I could get mine to do is blink once green real quick then nothing else.

It works fine when the notebook is powered on, showing network name with a signal strength.

I expected the light to stay green longer when trying it while powered off.

Already been into the BIOS and QuickSet to see if anything changes it. I would want more indication from it than that momentary green flash it does so I understand why this isn't very worthwhile the way it is now.

If other people have it blinking, solid or other color that's got to mean something is wrong with these that don't do much of anything.

The single green blink I mentioned here happened just before I powered it up again but only with the switch going from off all the way over past on. Thereafter it didn't do anything even when I tried multiple times to use the momentary position for either a moment or several seconds.

Message Edited by iKlaatu on 12-02-2007 08:03 PM

142 Posts

December 3rd, 2007 02:00

One of the Tech Support reps and a Dell On Call rep I talked to (I've talked to so many) said that when you push the Wi-Fi Catcher switch to the ">>" position and let it spring back when the laptop is Off, in Sleep or Hibernate mode, the LED next to the switch will change colors to show the strength of WiFi networks in the area. Solid green means a strong WiFi signal is present. Flashing green means searching for networks. Solid Yellow means a weak WiFi signal is present. Flashing red means no signal is present in the area.  When the computer is on, a window showing available networks pops up. Settings can be changed in the BIOS and in the Quickset program through Windows.

Oddly, I have not been able to find any documentation on the Dell site that states this except a more generic "Wi-Fi Catcher will let you detect wireless network whether the laptop is On or Off".

If this feature is problematic for Dell, I would figure that Dell should just admit a problem with the design and tell people that the LED light will not work for most people out of the box.  Personally, if I was told that, I would accept it and move on.  However, for Dell to continue to market this as a "feature" for the new Inspiron models and then have people go nowhere with Tech Support just lowers Dell's reputation for quality as well as Tech Support.

331 Posts

December 3rd, 2007 07:00

I've tried mine outside the house now but only 100' away not on the road looking for any Wi-Fi hotspots.
    Was still getting the half second green flash once each time the slider switch is moved, then nothing at all when out of range of the wireless signal regardless of holding it several seconds.

142 Posts

December 3rd, 2007 16:00

Nemesis,
    Here are my Wireless BIOS settings:

1. Internal Bluetooth - Enabled
    2. Internal Wi-Fi - Enabled
    3. Internal Cellular - Enabled
    4. Wireless Switch - Wi-Fi & BT
    5. Wi-Fi Catcher - Enabled

Under Quickset Wi-Fi Cather/Radio Configuration

Switch:

1. Status: Enabled
    2. Controls: Wi -Fi, Bluetooth

Wi-Fi Catcher Network Locator:

1. Status: Enabled
    2. Mode: Any Available Network

Wi-Fi Catcher Network Locator

1. Enable Wi-Fi Catcher Network Locator - check box checked
    2. Search for ANY available network - radio button selected

Quickset Wi-Fi Catcher/Radio Control Advanced Configuration

Wi-Fi Catcher Network Locator

Search Criteria

1. Search for any WEAK or STRONG network (<-70dBm) - radio button selected.

Bands to scan

1. 802.11b/g (2.4GHz) - radio button selected.

Radio Control Option

1. All the radios - check box checked
    2. Wi-Fi - check box checked
    3. Bluetooth - check box checked

I have a G network at home.

8 Posts

December 6th, 2007 18:00

I also just received my Dell Inspiron 1420 and the WiFi Catcher light does not blink when the computer is turned off and not connected to any power.  If I have the computer off and it is connected to the AC adapter and the battery is charging then if I hold the switch for a few seconds and let go the LED will blink yellow for a split second while the battery indicator blinks off.  I know how this feature is supposed to work because I went to the Dell Store and tried it on there Inspiron 1420 and it works perfectly.  Just hold the switch when the computer is off and the light will stay on for a few seconds indicating if there is a wireless network around.  Not sure why the newer models are having this problem but the Dell Technical Support are of no help and are not acknowledging that there is an issue. 

Also I have a Wireless N card.  Does anyone know if this is the problem.  Does having a wireless N card cause a conflict?

Message Edited by lynx523 on 12-06-2007 02:34 PM

Message Edited by lynx523 on 12-06-2007 02:38 PM

8 Posts

December 6th, 2007 19:00

Ok, thank you.   Have you tried holding the switch while the computer is off and the battery is charging.  I get a blink when I do that.

Sincerely

142 Posts

December 6th, 2007 19:00

I can tell you that if you have the Dell 1505 N card, it should not have any relationship with the Wi Fi Catcher LED light coming on or not. My 1420 has a Dell 1390 G card and the light doesn't come on either.

7.9K Posts

December 6th, 2007 20:00

so i have to ask this, but do you ever use the feature?      the first time I ever used it on mine was to test it for you all...

8 Posts

December 6th, 2007 20:00

You have gone through two computers.  I don't understand why Dell Support does not see this as an issue.  I called earlier today and went to the outsourced customer service and they tried to tell me that the LED is not supposed to work.  I insisted that I went to the actual dell store and tried it on the 1420 and it worked fine.  I was then told that I must have been looking at a different model.  I told the lady to go and get one and try it herself.  They don't even have models that they can check around them.  I think she hung up on me after.  Is there a way to get a hold of the Dell Customer Service people in the U.S. that actually know what they are taking about to take some responsibility.

You have gone through two computers they should recognized that there is a problem.

Message Edited by lynx523 on 12-06-2007 04:38 PM
    No Events found!