Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 3rd, 2006 01:00

Dimension 3000 Wireless Networking

My computer will not hold a connection to the internet. It connects and shows that it is trying to acquire my IP Address. I have SBC Yahoo DSL and they worked on the problem for 3 hours and finally said that the problem is my computer.  The computer is still in warranty.  Any suggestions as to how I can solve this problem?

28K Posts

June 3rd, 2006 02:00

To help troubleshoot this problem, go to Start > Run and type cmd then click OK. In the command prompt window that opens, type ipconfig /all then hit the enter key. Write down the output from this command or select it and save it to a txt file, then copy this output into a reply to this message.

Steve

37 Posts

June 3rd, 2006 03:00

Steve here is what I got from cmd:

Windows IP Configeration: Host Name: Knight, Primary DNS Suffix:, Node Type: Broadcast, IP Routing Enabled: No, Windows Proxy Enabled: No.  Ethernet Adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:, Connection-Specific DNS Suffix:, Description: 2Wire 802.11g USB Wireless LAN Card #2, Physical Address: 00-60-B3-BA-F4_F3, DHCP Enabled: Yes, Autoconfigeration Enabled: Yes, Autoconfigeration IP Address: 169.254.38.164, Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0, Default Gateway:.

That is it, Steve, I hope you can help me. My IP Address: 192.168.1.64, Subnet: 255.255.255.0.

9 Posts

June 3rd, 2006 03:00

I believe SBC Yahoo DSL uses PPPoE to connect to the internet. Are you connecting your computer directly to the DSL modem, or do you have some type of gateway / router device in between the two?

If you are using a gateway / router then you may want to plug your machine directly into the DSL modem as a test.

Another test with using a gateway or router could be to connect the machine directly to the gateway/router using an ethernet cable if you are using wireless today. If this works then your problem could be the wireless connection.

If you are using wireless to connect to the gateway/router then does your computer tell you that you have disconnected from the access point, or can you simply not access the internet?

9 Posts

June 3rd, 2006 04:00

Here is what I would try then. Look under the IP Configuration information that you just posted and find out the IP address for your default gateway. If your assigned IP Address from the access point is 192.168.1.64 then it will most likely start with 192.168.1 assuming your subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 It could even be 192.168.1.1 which is a default on many access points.

Then, the next time you get disconnected, open a DOS prompt and try to ping the IP address of your default gateway by typing "ping XX.XX.XX.XX" in the command window. If you are seeing a response then the machine is properly connected to the access point. This would indicate that the problem is not with the desktop/laptop and exists with the DSL connection.

When you get disconnected do you see any status lights on the modem change? When I had SBC DSL I had a lot of connection problems, but they were typically with their PPPoE implementation (layer 2 DSL was still present).

28K Posts

June 3rd, 2006 13:00

Marine167,

You are getting an autoconfiguration IP address, which is what Windows assigns when it cannot find a dhcp server from which to get an IP address.   Since it isn't getting an IP address through your wireless card, the next troubleshooting step would be to see if you can connect to the router by wired ethernet.  If you can't do that either, try downloading and running winsockfix for Windows XP from the Here.  In either case, post back what you find.

Steve

37 Posts

June 3rd, 2006 19:00

I downloaded the WinSock Tool and it got me heading in the right direction by downloading the files I needed. Still my system was unable to renew my IP address.  So I went to Services and started up Wireless Zero Configeration and it completed the solving of my problem.

Thank you for your help in solving this problem.

No Events found!