Highlighted
charlieradams
1 Copper

Dimension 8250 Rebuild

I think I'm in the right area.  I have read all the forum entries I could find on this subject, but can't get past the initial rebuild of my Dimension 8250.  I went through this process about a year ago, with out a hitch.  I've just about concluded that my onboard ethernet NIC has gone bad?

I have done the following. 1) reinstalled windows xp professional from the Reinstallation CD.  2) Immediately installed the drivers on the Resource CD, chipset being the 1st as advised in numerous forum entries. 3) In device manager under "Network Adapters", there is a "1394 Net Adapter" which appears to have drivers installed properly.  all though it's not explicitly stated, I assume this is the dial up modem?.

When checking the Device Manager,  I have ? marks on the "Other Devices" Device list.  Under that link are shown the "Ethernet Controller" and the "Multimedia Controller"  each with ? marks indication that no drivers are installed.  I have tried various thinks such as installing the Intell Network Drivers both R48947 (original Resource CD) and R56484 (from the Dell Driver Download siter for my system).

After all this no matter what I attempt I can not connect to the internet or my local network.  When I connect the computer to the internet, I get a fast flashing yellow light next to the nework jack.  Note this is a intel onboard ethernet card #430-0412.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
kellie3686
1 Copper

Re: Dimension 8250 Rebuild

I have the same system and I'm in the same pickle as you. I have reformatted my 8250 before and NEVER had this issue. I just installed a new hard drive and the only thing still not updated is my ethernet controller. I followed the same steps.

Someone please HELP!

0 Kudos
kellie3686
1 Copper

Re: Dimension 8250 Rebuild

Good news! Problem Solved!

After installing the chipset and the driver for ethernet card, you also have to reinstall the intel driver at the bottom of the Network group.

Note: it is NOT a self installer. It will extract the files and then a readme file will pop up and  show you how to manually install.

After that, everything worked like a charm.

Kellie

0 Kudos
tombobbie
1 Copper

RE: Dimension 8250 Rebuild

I am sorta an amateur here.  I am wondering how to locate the chipset and the driver to download?  Is there a link I could click on?  How do you reinstall the intel driver at the bottom of the "Network group"?  Where do I find the Network group?  I appreciate any answers. 

My device manager states I am missing the Ethernet Controller and Mulitmedia Audio Controller under the "Other devices".  I can't connect to the internet. 

0 Kudos