Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 15th, 2009 10:00

Dimension 8400

Hello,

I have a Dimension 8400. I just reinstalled windows XP on it and have been having the darnest time since then. The problem is I'm trying to install my SBC Yahoo DSL and it says that it can't find the ethernet card. After downloading the driver r87461, everything ran beautifully without a problem, I could go online and surf the web as though nothing had happened. Or so I thought, once I restared the computer, I got the blue screen with the stop: 0x0000007e error. After trying for hours to fix it I figured I would reinstall windows again and start from scratch. The SBC wouldn't pick up on the ethernet card again but the computer wouldn't give me the blue screen on the numerous number of times that I have restarted it. I decided to install the r87461 driver again and was able to connect to the internet and surf the web again, but once again on restart I got the blue screen with the stop: 0x0000007e error. Making me believe that it's that driver that is making my computer act funky.

Please can somebody help me with this issue.

Thank you in advance.

Andrey

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 15th, 2009 13:00

3 Posts

Ok, Sorry if I'm a little slow. But when I go to the drivers download for my computer tag, it has the following sections:

Applications

Audio

Bios

Chipset

Communications

Diagnostics

Network

Serial ATA

System Utilities

Video

Can you please let me know which order to install these in, because I see the the chipset driver but I don't see anything that says Desktop System software.

Thank you

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Andrey,

You need to install the notebook/desktop software first followed by th chipset drivers or the rest of the drivers will not install.

How to Install Drivers in Microsoft® Windows® on Dell Systems

Since the operating system was re-installed did you remember to go to drivers and downloads, enter your service tag(DO NOT POST SERVICE TAG here or your post will get deleted, since it contains your personal information), and install these drivers in this order.

:emotion-55: Hint :emotion-55: When downloading the drivers, make a folder for each drivers and name it with the device it belongs with to make it easier to install them in the proper order.

Desktop System Software or Notebook System Software
Chipset or SMBus driver
Processor Driver (if applicable)
Video
Audio (sound)
Input Drivers (keyboard/mouse)
Modem
Network Card

QuickSet(Laptop only)

Rick

3 Posts

April 16th, 2009 07:00

Hi Rick,

Thank you for all your help. The advice you gave me worked like magic.

Andrey

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 16th, 2009 08:00

Andrey,

GREAT JOB! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back. Could you mark the verify answer(s) that helped you solve your problem, so if someone else searches the forums, they can see what you did to fix your problem(s).

Thanks,

Rick

No Events found!