cmac949
1 Copper

Re: Disappearing Wireless adapter

I have the same issue.

I have a Dell Wireless 1704.802.11b/g/n that continues to disappear from a laptop.  I have to go through the process of uninstalling it and then shutting down the laptop, and letting the laptop find it again on boot up and then I am good for a few days.  Seems like it may be tied to Windows Updates, but not sure. This is on a Inspirion 15, Windows 10 Dell Laptop.  I have tried a bunch of different solutions from this Dell site, including updating BIOS, checking for latest drivers, disabling BlueTooth devices - and nothing seems like a permanent solution, only thing that bids me the most time in a solution is uninstalling and re-installing the wireless adapter.  There is not two drives on the computer - so reinstalling Windows is not an option, and neither is a factory restore.  Seems to me with all the posting on this matter, Dell has a defect on these systems.  I am a Tech  Support person in a company with many Dell laptops and this is the only model with issues.

0 Kudos
cmac949
1 Copper

I have the same issue.

I have a Dell Wireless 1704.802.11b/g/n that continues to disappear from a laptop.  I have to go through the process of uninstalling it and then shutting down the laptop, and letting the laptop find it again on boot up and then I am good for a few days.  Seems like it may be tied to Windows Updates, but not sure. This is on a Inspirion 15, Windows 10 Dell Laptop.  I have tried a bunch of different solutions from this Dell site, including updating BIOS, checking for latest drivers, disabling BlueTooth devices - and nothing seems like a permanent solution, only thing that bids me the most time in a solution is uninstalling and re-installing the wireless adapter.  There is not two drives on the computer - so reinstalling Windows is not an option, and neither is a factory restore.  Seems to me with all the posting on this matter, Dell has a defect on these systems.  I am a Tech  Support person in a company with many Dell laptops and this is the only model with issues.

0 Kudos
JoeyK2
1 Copper

RE: Disappearing Wireless adapter

how to send you a private message with computer details?

0 Kudos
FoxArg
1 Copper

Im tech, im try with: AC3165 and disappear AC7265 and dissapear AC8265 just installed and work but wait new news in one to two days
0 Kudos
rvia100
1 Copper

Has anyone found a fix to this?  I just got a 7375 and if it's powered off for more than 5 minutes, the network adapter is not detected.  If I restart the computer, it's still not detected.  I have to shutdown and push the button to turn it back on and then it works fine.  Very annoying.

0 Kudos
bmccoy11
1 Copper

I haven't found a fix to this either. My Inspiron 15 5565 randomly stops recognizing my WiFi adapter at boot, and takes multiple reboots and BIOS resets to get it to be recognized again. Of course, my warranty had ran out just before I started experiencing this problem - I even switched to a different WiFi adapter and still have the same intermittent issue, reappearing almost every time I reboot my laptop. It seems like there's a bug in the firmware of this laptop that randomly stops WiFi adapters from being recognized by the system, Ubuntu still doesn't recognize a WiFi adapter when I reboot into it from Windows. Dell's built-in diagnostics don't pick up that the WiFi adapter is installed and state that the wireless switch is "off" - there isn't a wireless switch on this laptop, aside from the airplane mode button. My Bluetooth adapter, which runs off the same exact card, is always recognized by my laptop. Can someone from Dell chime in on this?

0 Kudos
KR3Y
1 Copper

I have this problem on my e7440. I have tried installing Windows, Ubuntu, trying all sorts of BIOS settings, wifi drivers, I've tried a new Intel wireless card. Occasionally the wireless will work for a minute and disappear again. The problem is a hardware block stuck on and it must be a BIOS/motherboard problem.

0 Kudos
ZONEWULF
1 Copper

I used this link from Intel below. I had the same issue. It happened outta nowhere but I went here and updated everything and it’s fine now. I did connect my laptop with a Ethernet cord to the modem/router to get to the internet, but I think you can also download the Intel(R) dual wireless file and transfer it with a flash drive.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
VardaChris
1 Copper

Hello everyone, 

Personally, I fixed this issue several times through the BIOS.

Each time this happens, the wireless adapter seems to be "not present" according to Windows (10). I simply reboot, go to the BIOS settings and find out that it was somehow miraculously disabled (?!?)... So you just enable it again, "Save and Exit" and restart windows. It worked everytime. 

Hope this helps,

Chris.

bmccoy11
1 Copper

I'm still having this problem, and it hasn't gone away for the last 6 months. I've even changed motherboards and had the same problem with the second board, and multiple NGFF WiFi adapters from Intel and Qualcomm (the one that came with the laptop) still have this issue - I cannot figure out why this is still happening. It seems like there's a bug in the UEFI that's preventing anything in the M.2 slot from being recognized at boot, but that's just my guess. Sometimes I'll get lucky and my laptop will boot up and recognize the adapter just fine, but then after a week or so of that Windows will restart to automatically update and I'll have to go through that process again. Dell's diagnostics sometimes show that the wireless switch is "off", and other times show that it's on but still doesn't pick up that a WiFi card is installed. The strangest thing about this is that even when the WiFi interface isn't picked up in Device Manager (or anywhere else), the Bluetooth interface running on the same exact chipset works just fine - which tells me that this isn't a hardware issue.

I'd like to hear someone from Dell actually chime in on this (and not just give us a script, telling us to update our drivers or try another irrelevant workaround) or send out a BIOS update to fix this if possible. But since most of our laptops are obviously out of warranty, I doubt that will happen. I'm never buying a Dell product again because of this, and my two year-old laptop is essentially unusable without being tethered to a router now.

0 Kudos