Entropy42
3 Zinc

Re: E1705 EXPRESSCARD

@DianeBaby wrote:

THAT language I understand!!! That's good to know. I was wondering why they put the Expresscard slot in there and then don't sell the card itself..but it sounds like its on its way and I'll be "ready" for it. I'm sure it will be a totally proprietary situation that you can't buy any other card. It'll be interesting to see who the carrier is and the rates.

Verizon actually found a way for me to have the Broadband Wireless connection through my new Motorola RAZR V3 cellphone when I had cancelled the Broadband PC Card. All I had to do was order the Mobile Office Kit that has the software and cable I need and they said I will have the exact same broadband coverage as the PC Card. It won't drain my phone, nor will it slow the connection because the phone is acting as the router. The NICE thing about this, is that I don't have to take a one or two year contract out, and I can cancel or add the service as I need without incurring any extra charges. It will still cost the same amount to use the service as it would with the Broadband Wireless PC Card. But if something happens to my computer in the next one or two years, I'm not stuck paying the monthly charge or having to face a $175.00 early penalty fee. It sounds like a good deal. I'll know more in a few weeks after using it if it is too good to be true or not. In any event, it'll tide me over til I find out what Dell will offer us when the Expresscar goes on the market.

Thank you again for the easy to understand information! Smiley Happy Diane

Glad to help, and good to hear you found an alternative. BTW, I hinted at this but the ExpressCard slot can be used for other peripherals, and while there are no ExpressCard wireless peripherals on the market, there are others such as gigabit Ethernet adapters, SATA controllers, and Firewire adapters.

And the solution you found is definately a good one, a variant of it is what I use with my Treo 650 via Bluetooth. (Which your RAZR might also allow you to do, although Verizon likes to disable Bluetooth dialup networking on their phones.)
0 Kudos
DianeBaby
1 Copper

Re: E1705 EXPRESSCARD ISSUE-VERIZON BROADBAND WIRELESS THRU CELLPHONE WORKS!!!!

Well all, in getting back to you as promised on the issue of no PC Slot vs No Broadband Wireless anytime-anywhere Internet coverage...

I posed the solution of Verizon offering the secondary alternative to this since I have no slot to stick their Broadband Wireless Card into with my new E1705.

They sent me the "Mobile Office Kit".  It comes with an installation CD and a USB cord that connects my new RAZR V3 Motorola cell phone to the E1705.

IT WORKS.  Not only does it work, IT WORKS WELL!  Connection speed is just the same as running it off of my WIFI card and Secure Router at home.  IT WORKS ANYWHERE!  My co-workers are completely jealous that I have internet on my laptop inside of our office, where personal internet is impossible due to their secure connection.  IT CONNECTS IMMEDIATELY!  No waiting, no drag time -super fast and efficient.  AND THE BONUS... IT CHARGES THE PHONE WHILE ITS CONNECTED TO THE E1705!  Isn't this wonderful.  Granted you can't get calls but it's supposed to bring up a screen telling you that there's incoming so you can disconnect.  If I need to use the phone, I simply unplug the phone and use it right away.  The internet on the computer disconnects.  I'm done on the phone, I plug it back into the USB port on the E1705, it brings up the Verizon Access Manager screen, I click "Connect" and I'm baaaccckkkkk... that fast. 

So for the minor cost of $39.99 for the kit.. the charge is the same for the Broadband Access through Verizon monthy as using their PC Card.  Again, the bonus here is I can add and remove the anytime anywhere access with no monetary penalty of $175 as with their 2-year contract with the actual PC Card. 

I'm very excited to share this with everyone.  Check with your carrier and see if they have something similar.  Verizon only offered it to me after I said I had to send their card back to them.  This is a very easy solution until the ExpressCards (if ever) are on the market!

Thanks for everyone's help!! Smiley Happy  Diane
0 Kudos
bmacrr
1 Copper

Andy,

I've read several of your post about the Express Card. I bought a new Dell laptop and was using the Merlin S630.

Are these my only options, buy a external reader (USB Adapter for Cardbus Wireless Modem 3G Cards : U132) or use my Treo 650 & DUN?

If I use the 650, do I need to install the patch from Shadowmite?

Thanks,

Brian

0 Kudos
Entropy42
3 Zinc

@bmacrr wrote:

Andy,

I've read several of your post about the Express Card. I bought a new Dell laptop and was using the Merlin S630.

Are these my only options, buy a external reader (USB Adapter for Cardbus Wireless Modem 3G Cards : U132) or use my Treo 650 & DUN?

If I use the 650, do I need to install the patch from Shadowmite?

Thanks,

Brian

I'm not sure if the Merlin was a 1xRTT (ExpressNetwork) or 1xEV-DO (BroadbandNetwork) adapter.

If your phone is a T650, you will only be able to access 1xRTT networks via Bluetooth DUN. This used to require the Shadowmite hack, I heard that supposedly the latest Verizon update removed the need for the Shadowmite hack, but I can't remember if I've got the hack installed or not right now. Smiley Happy (I am using the latest 650 firmware).

I'm not sure if the Treo 700w supports BTDUN or Mobile Office Kit, same for the upcoming 700p. I may find out soon. I'm soooo tempted to pay full price for yet another Treo upgrade.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
raq
1 Nickel

Re: E1705 Lost Internet Connection

hi all,

i think one of the most uninspired decisions taken by a computer manufacturer is Dell's decision to eliminate PCMCIA in favor of ExpressCard way ahead of a maturing industry of the latter. did you guys find any other use than wireless, etc., connectivity  & tv-tuner for this slot? for me, there's no use i can think of that i couldn't have provided from the very beginning through hardware customization (i'm not interested in tv applications). i'm interested in using this laptop for audio applications - it is, after all, an entertainment computer - and found the day it shipped out that it has no PCMCIA slot. it's my fault, i should've read those specs in closer detail, but i just didn't imagine they would just give it up when availability of ExpressCard hardware is basically non-existent. i can only play dvd-audio at full 192kb using the audigy 2zs notebook (PCMCIA), or internal PCI cards, also from creative. the external option is audigy 2nx, but, to make my day even better, it has been discontinued.

i think by means of this decision, Dell endangers its market very much. they cultivate the idea that Dell is the cutting edge of technology, but i think what they're going to manage to cut is their market share. it's such a stupid and unconsidered decision that i cannot believe it got through all levels of decision at Dell.

can you guys think of a solution for me. do you know of adapters PCMCIA-to-ExpressCard, or PCMCIA-to-USB that could help me accommodate the audigy 2zs on this laptop?

thanks a lot,

aR.

0 Kudos
Entropy42
3 Zinc

Re: E1705 Lost Internet Connection

@raq wrote:

i think by means of this decision, Dell endangers its market very much. they cultivate the idea that Dell is the cutting edge of technology, but i think what they're going to manage to cut is their market share. it's such a stupid and unconsidered decision that i cannot believe it got through all levels of decision at Dell.

>

No, it doesn't limit their market at all, given that their competitors made the same move BEFORE they did. I believe HP started over a year ago, so did IBM/Lenovo, Apple announced the MacBook Pro a few weeks before the E1705/9400.

CardBus wasn't fast enough to provide maximum performance with gigabit Ethernet (available for ExpressCard), SATA (Also available for ExpressCard), and a few other upcoming technologies.

FYI the onboard audio of the E1705s is VERY high quality and digital output is available. Also, 192 kHz sampling rates at 16 bits are pure marketing propaganda invented to line Creative's pockets and no more, at most a 96 kHz sampling rate benefits you by relaxing the needs for image rejection/antialiasing filter design. The only other peripheral people have found lacking is EVDO and HSDPA aircards, but there are plenty of native USB solutions available (such as the RAZR V3 and Treo 700w/700p) that they would have found if they'd spent 5 minutes with their service provider's sales rep instead of 30 ranting here.
0 Kudos
LTUSER
1 Copper

--- from DELL website --------
When will ExpressCard Mobile Broadband cards be available from Dell?
We do not anticipate seeing mobile broadband ExpressCards available in market until later in 2006.Dell plans to launch the Dell Wireless 5700 EVDO ExpressCard for use on the Verizon Wireless network around May/June.
Dell plans to launch the Dell Wireless 5510 3G HSDPA ExpressCard for use on the Cingular network in November/December
0 Kudos