Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 24th, 2016 09:00

ETHERNET CONNECTION XPS 8300

Hi,

I'm at wits end with this problem, it has been driving me crazy for over a month. I'm using Windows 10. and for some unknown reason, when I connect my Ethernet cable to the back of the PC, nothing happens, no light, nothing. I get no Internet at all. Message reads "not connected"

I changed the cable, tested the Ethernet wall plug (works fine when I plug in my laptop, etc.) The problem is not external source, it's internal. 

I ran Dell diagnostic, it tells me everything is fine. I do connect via the wireless card and it works okay,

Note: The Device Manager only shows the Broadcom wire driver and nothing else.  I need to know how to troubleshoot this or find out if I'm missing some kind of driver.

Please help,  thanks. 

1.8K Posts

February 24th, 2016 12:00

Hi,

You may want to take a look at this thread where some suggested fixes have worked for others trying to get the Broadcomm network cards to work in Windows 10.   For some, downloading the Windows 7 driver for the Broadcom BCM5788 card, and installing it, has worked.   Check it out and see if it works for you.

Because the XPS 8300 isn't on the list of systems we've tested to be compatible with Windows 10 there won't be any new drivers released by us.  

To better help me troubleshoot this issue please right click on my Dell Todd username and send me a private message with the Dell Service Tag of your XPS 8300.  Please keep all troubleshooting discussions here on this public thread so that others, with the same questions, can see what helps. 

Thank you,

Todd

March 4th, 2016 10:00

I had installed the driver a while back as one of those first things I did. Thanks for the info but It didn't work.

As far as I can tell, it's intermittent, meaning that every once in a while it connects and the Ethernet driver appears in the device manager. However, when it does appear, I can run the PC for a time with it on, but if I leave the PC and it enters a sleep mode or is turned off, I', thrown back to the WiFi settings.  

Note, that I had added a USB 3.0 card to the system, not sure if it's conflicting. I recall when I removed the 3.0 external drive after turning it off and disconnecting it, the Ethernet linked. I did reconnect the external drive a day later and the Ethernet disconnection issue return. I haven't been able to replicate it. 

I did however backup the system when it when the Ethernet was connected but I haven't attempted to restore it to see if it restores with the Ethernet present. 

No Events found!