Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 25th, 2004 09:00

Error 678:no web-interface!

After having had no problems with my DSL-connection for years, all of a sudden (without any new soft- or hardware) I can´t connect to the internet anymore, neither wireless or wired, no matter if thru the router (TM 1184) or directly to the DSL-modem.

The network-settings confirm that a LAN-connection has been established. Opening the internet explorer gives me an "Error 678 : Remote Computer does not answer". The modem has sync (green light). I resetted both modem and router and bypassed the router. I tried it with both my Inspiron and my desktop. Now everything looks as if it was a problem of my provider, who says that there is no known network-problem in my area.

What confuses me, after all, is the fact that I cannot reach the router, by http://my.router. I just get this red cross error :"Search page cannot be opened". I thought that this connection was independent from my provider and should bring up the web-interface of the TM 1184 in any case. Am I wrong? any hints?

Thomas

7.3K Posts

May 26th, 2004 01:00

Try browsing directly to the IP address of the 1184.  If your not sure, get to a command prompt and do a ipconfig /all and the listed gateway would be the IP address.

4.4K Posts

May 26th, 2004 04:00

From what I've read, that error is most commonly associated with VPN clients. Do you have one installed? If so, it's possible that the policy settings sent to the client by the VPN server may have recently changed, causing this problem.

Jim

88 Posts

May 26th, 2004 09:00

Meanwhile I solved the problem this way:

I went to the network settings and deleted the symbol representing the broadband connection to my ISP. Then I used the Windows-XP wizard to create a new connection and, everything was fine again!

It took me another hour then to re-configure the 1184 router, as shortly before the installation process was finished, I received error-messages that the internet- connection could not be verifyed. I repeated the process after having checked off the firewall setting from my newly installed broadband connection. again, the installation wizard of the 1184 router failed, but at least the web interface was there and let me configure the router. Strange....

Thomas

No Events found!