Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 3rd, 2012 12:00

Ethernet Adapter Icon Missing

Whenever I plug in an ethernet cord into the integrated ethernet port in my laptop, I do not get a connection and the "Local Area Connection" icon doesn't show up in the Network and Sharing Center or the Device Manager. When I do plug it in, the "Local Area Connection" icon shows up for a second saying it's unplugged and disappears. I have tried different ethernet cables as well as an ethernet adapter (which does show up in the Network and Sharing Center, but I still don't get a connection).

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron N2010, I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, and my ethernet port "RealTek PCIe GBE Family Controller" if that helps.

Any help would be appreciated.

1.8K Posts

September 6th, 2012 09:00

Hi UniversalShockwave,

We have tried all the troubleshooting steps in this case. It appears to be an issue with the Ethernet port of your computer and motherboard needs replacement. Since the warranty of computer has expired, Ι will suggest you to get in touch with a local technician to get it fixed. You can also contact Dell Technical support for replacement by entering the service tag of your computer on the following link:

http://dell.to/Qdhrup

Please reply in case you have further questions.

1.8K Posts

September 3rd, 2012 13:00

Hi  UniversalShockwave,

You can try using your computer in 'Safe Mode With Networking' and see if you face the same issue.  You can follow the steps below to access Safe mode with networking:

• Restart your computer.
  • When the computer starts you will see your computer's hardware being listed. When you see this information start to gently tap the F8 key on your keyboard repeatedly until you are presented with the Windows 7 Advanced Boot Options screen.
  • Using the arrow keys, select the Safe Mode with Networking.
  • Then press the enter key on your keyboard to boot into Windows 7 Safe Mode.
  • When Windows starts you will be at a typical logon screen. Logon to your computer and Windows 7 will enter Safe mode.
  • Try using your computer in safe mode and see if you face same issues with Internet in safe mode or not.

If the issue persists, you can also download and update network card driver:

• Click on “Start” and right click on “Computer”.
  • Click on “Manage”.
  • Click on “Device Manager”.
  • Under “Network adapters”, you will find the "Realtek" driver listed.
  • Right click on it and click on “uninstall”. (Check the driver installed on your system and re-install the network driver from the below steps accordingly).
  • Check the box to delete the software and restart your computer.
  • Click on the link below:

http://dell.to/PWE5BI 

• Click on “Download File”.
  • Select “For Single File Download via Browser”.
  • Click on “Download Now”.
  • Save the driver on your desktop.
  • Once the driver is saved on desktop, right click on it and select “Run as administrator”.
  • Install the video driver by following the on screen instructions.
  • Check if the issue is resolved or not. 

If the issue still persists, you can update the system BIOS:

Note: Make sure the ac adapter is connected and the battery is charged 10% or above to update the BIOS. Also, disconnect all the external peripherals before updating the BIOS.

• Click on the below link: 

http://dell.to/OukFUO

• Enter the Service Tag of your system and select the operating system.
  • Go to “BIOS” and click on the BIOS available.
  • Click on “Download File”.
  • Select “For Single File Download via Browser”.
  • Click on “Download Now”.
  • Save the BIOS on your desktop.
  • Once the BIOS is downloaded on the desktop, right click on it and select “Run as administrator” and follow prompts on screen to complete the installation.

I am adding you as a friend; please accept my friend request and send me a private message with the system Service Tag so that I can check the system warranty details and help you further.

Please reply incase you have further questions.

September 3rd, 2012 17:00

I have gone into Safe Mode With Networking and still have the same problems.

I cannot update the Network Driver because it does not show up in Device Manager for me to uninstall it and the link you provided is broken.

I have tried updating my BIOS from the link you provided and followed your steps, however, I got a message stating "cann't flash to the same BIOS version", so nothing happened.

1.8K Posts

September 4th, 2012 08:00

Hi  UniversalShockwave,

Thank you for your quick response. I have the system Service Tag and details.

The next step to fix this issue would be to load the BIOS defaults for your computer and check if the issue still exists.

Please follow the steps below to load the BIOS defaults:
  • To access the BIOS mode we need to restart the computer.
  • As soon as you see the blue Dell logo start tapping the ‘F2’ key which is at the top of the keyboard.

Note: If you wait too long and the Microsoft Windows appears, then continue to wait until you see the Windows desktop. Now shutdown your computer and try again.

• After this a new window will appear which is the BIOS. You can only use the arrow keys of the keyboard to navigate between the options as the mouse is not functional in this mode.

System BIOS of your computer will be as below: 

• Press F9 then press F10.
  • Press Esc and restart your computer to check if the issue still exists.

Do reply with the results

September 4th, 2012 17:00

I went into the BIOS and pressed F9 (which didn't really indicate like it was doing anything) and pressed F10 (which asked if I would like to save the settings) and clicked Enter. Then it restarted by itself. I have tried since to use my ethernet cable with no success.

No Events found!