Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 12th, 2012 17:00

Ethernet Card Installed and supposedly working properly, but no connection is available

I've been having some problems with my Ethernet connection lately.

The problem started early last week. I'm currently relocating thanks to a job, so I unplugged my laptop from the Ethernet connection I had at my old place.

At two different locales, I have tried to use an Ethernet connection in order to get better speed (the wireless at the first locale was non-existent and at the second it is extremely slow in my room). I have done so with two separate cables that I have tested on others' computers and found that they are perfectly fine. That, of course, leads me to believe that it is my computer and is either a hardware or software problem (here's hoping it's the latter).

Anyway, my laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1720 (purchased in 2006). About a year ago, I updated to Windows 7 from the pre-installed Vista. Never had any problems (as I said, everything was fine up until about a week ago). The installed card is a Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller. Everything under Device Manager indicates that the hardware is working properly and has all of its drivers installed, but nothing is working.

I have tried to uninstall and re-install the drivers (albeit by allowing windows to find them automatically), but the result is the exact same.

I have checked the port and found that there is no debris or obstructions. My computer hasn't been dropped or mishandled in any way.

June 12th, 2012 18:00

Hi derkum07,

Welcome to the community.

I understand that it is a bit inconvenient for you, since wireless internet is very slow in your room. Here are few things which we can try in this case:

This system was sent with windows Vista and we do not have drivers available for windows 7 for this system however, we can try updating the Vista drivers for your system and see if that works. Please download and the file and run it. Link for drivers update is: go.us.dell.com/signing.vmbrd-w8-sihb5

We can boot the system in safe mode with networking to see if the Wired Internet connection works fine there.

Steps for booting the system in safe mode with networking are:

Restart the system, as soon as the system restarts, start tapping F8 key.

System will go to advanced boot options.

Select safe mode with networking and hit enter and see if the wired connection works there.

If the issue is from just 1-2 weeks, we can also try performing system restore to an earlier date however, if any application or software installed after that date will be lost when we perform system restore, so proceed if that is fine with you.

Please let me know your findings.

Glad to be of assistance.

Navdeep Tuli.

Social Outreach Professional

You can reach us at http://en.community.dell.com/

3 Posts

June 12th, 2012 21:00

I tried everything you listed, but to no avail.

I am not able to do the system restore option, though, as I disabled it last month.

Any other suggestions?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 13th, 2012 03:00

derkum07,

You can try downloading and installing the following drivers in order. You may have to install them in the Vista Compatibility mode

Dell Notebook System Software

Intel Mobile Chipset

Ricoh R5C833

and then the

Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller

Shut down the computer and attach the ethernet cable, then start the computer. What happens?

Rick

3 Posts

June 13th, 2012 17:00

Before I try that, I have a question...

I had not attempted anything with the drivers until last night. Before that, the system was utilizing the same drivers it was utilizing in the year since I upgraded to Windows 7. Would something like that suddenly become an issue now, a full year later?

No Events found!