Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 8th, 2016 18:00

Ethernet Port not detecting ethernet cable

Hello I have a dell XPS  l521 x laptop. The wireless internet works, but whenever I plug in a working ethernet cable, the local area network says I still need to plug an ethernet cable in. I have tried multiple which I know work, I have tried re installing the drivers and even inputting the manual network settings but nothing works. Any help would be awesome. Thanks

4 Posts

October 10th, 2016 09:00

Does another laptop work with the same ethernet cable? Check the LAN connector...also may be something wrong with network card

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

October 11th, 2016 12:00

Hi jrmcgarry,

Go ahead and try the diags for the ethernet located here by entering your service tag: www.dell.com/support to see if it finds anything. 

Unfortunately unless the port was disabled in the bios (doubtful since the device sounds like it is showing up in device manager), this sounds like a bad ethernet port on the motherboard.  

Just to rule this out, you could also try running the system in safemode with networking. If you do not know the steps to do this let me know what OS you're running and I can post them. Once in safemode see if plugging in one of your known good ethernet cables changes anything. 

Best regards,

Brad

3 Posts

January 2nd, 2017 16:00

I am having the same problem.  The port worked for several years.  Where would i fine the ethernet port in the device manager?  I don't see it anywhere.  Perhaps I need to restore my computer  to an earlier date?  Could this be the result of some update?

1 Message

March 27th, 2017 00:00

You should change both cable and and LAN connector. Your problem will be fix by do it. And if not done than change LAN laptop connector.

3 Posts

February 25th, 2019 08:00

Same problem! Also, cannot see the Network adapter (should be Realtek) under Device Manager to update the drivers. Is the adapter working? Where is the answer?

3 Posts

February 25th, 2019 08:00

I just updated the Bios and Windows 10.

Ethernet adapters were there with a message to change cable (did that, even bought Cat 7 cables and no solution).

Ethernet 3 popped up yesterday as a network BUT did not work (connect), then it disappeared (most odd).

Since the Realtek adapter is not showing now under Device Manager perhaps the Ethernet adapters were disabled under the updated Bios?

NOTE: For the XPS 2720 Dell lists Reaklek RTL811G AND Killer Wireless-N together. At least wireless is working.

I would prefer to hardwire since much faster speed.

How to fix ...

No Events found!