Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

October 23rd, 2012 21:00

Ethernet connection doesn't work, wired lan card not showing in device manager

Hello I hope someone can help me with this issue as I've tried everything I can think of. I have a Dell Latitude D600 laptop. I can connect to the internet wirelessly but not with a wired connection. My wired network adapter card is not listed in the device manager. I am running Windows XP. I'm beginning to think the card is not working but how can I tell for sure? I can't even find how to replace it - I read it's part of the motherboard. Here is what I've done so far to no avail:

1. Updated all drivers listed on the Dell website including wireless network card, BIOS, chipset, and what I thought was the wired card but not sure. I installed anything that even looked like a network card.

2. Uninstalled and re-installed the wired card.

3. Tried to run the Dell system configuration tool to verify what hardware I have but it says it doesn't work for my system.

4. Tried to enable the network card in the BIOS by choosing "enable" to anything that said "NIC card."

5. Disabled the wireless card to see if the wired card would show up.

6. Ran the Intel System Identification Utility and it did not detect any wired networking card or driver on the computer.

7. Ran CC Cleaner.

8. Start>Run> msinfo32.exe clicked on Components, then Network, then Adapter. It says the Broadcom 570x Gigabit Integrated Controller is installed but no IP information is listed ….says Not available. But plenty of IP information is listed for the WLAN PCI card.

9. Control panel>admin tools>services. At the bottom I set both wired and wireless to automatic and started.

10. Verified the network services setting: Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs>Add/Remove Windows Components>Networking Services>Details. Simple TCP/IP Services is turned on.

Any other suggestions on what I can do?

Thanks!

6 Posts

November 1st, 2012 10:00

Thank you for your help and suggestions Madhur - much appreciated!

565 Posts

October 24th, 2012 01:00

Hi gentilr01,

I appreciate the technical expertise and the steps that have been done. We check for two more things: 

1. Press the “Windows + R” to launch the run window.
  2. Type in CMD.
  3. Click ok.
  4. In Command prompt, type ping 127.0.0.1
  5. Press enter.
  6. Check if it is able to give a reply.
  7. Also, what is the status for the LED besides Ethernet port?  Adding image as reference:

If there is no LED then the issue would be with the Ethernet port and motherboard needs to be replaced for that.

I request you to private message the system service tag number. To private message, accept my friend request; click on my user name and click start conversation.

Alternatively, you can check warranty status online. Click on the link below:

If the computer is not in warranty you would have to contact spare part sales for the pricing information of the motherboard. I have attached the link for the contact information for spare part sales: sales (the link is for USA):

Please post back with the results.

6 Posts

October 24th, 2012 12:00

Hello Madhur,

Thank you for your prompt reply to my problem. My computer was bought in 2003 and definitely out of warranty. Here are the results from my ping:

Pinging 127.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

When I look at the Ethernet port as shown in the photo you sent, the left LED is on and green in colour. The right LED does not light up at all. I have the laptop in docking station but the LED behaves the same way on the laptop as well as the docking station. So it makes no difference if I have the Ethernet cable plugged directly into the laptop.

Thanks again and I look forward to your assessment.

565 Posts

October 25th, 2012 00:00

Hi gentilr01,

We can do few steps to check if the issue gets fixed:

1. Uninstall the network card drivers from the computer.
  2. To uninstall the drivers click Start.
  3. Click Control Panel (classical view).
  4. Click Add or Remove Programs.
  5. Uninstall the drivers for Broadcom 570x Gigabit Integrated Controller.
  6. Then install the system software from the below mentioned link, after installing the driver restart the computer: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/latitude-d600?driverId=5870X&osCode=WW1&fileId=2731098284
  7. Then install the Chipset Driver from the below mentioned link, after installing the driver restart the computer: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/latitude-d600?driverId=R0THY&osCode=WW1&fileId=2731091300
  8. Then install the Ethernet Driver from the below mentioned link, after installing the driver restart the computer: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/latitude-d600?driverId=R133052&osCode=WW1&fileId=2731114799

6 Posts

October 25th, 2012 12:00

Hello Madhur,

Thank you for your instructions. I followed them and have seen no change. The wired network adapter still does not appear in the device manager under network devices and Local Area Network does not appear under Network Connections in the control panel.

The only change that i have noticed is that the left LED on the Ethernet port now glows orange instead of green. This is the case on both the docking station and the laptop Ethernet ports. Also the right LED on the laptop flickers orange periodically. It flickered quite a bit as the desk top was loading. I hadn't noticed this before. I tried a different cable in case the other one was damaged but no change.

I look forward to any further suggestions or conclusions you may have.

565 Posts

October 26th, 2012 03:00

Hi gentilr01

To further help you with regards to the issue, please provide me the following information:

1. Was it working earlier, from how many days are you facing this problem?
  2. Were there any changes made on the computer before this issue occurs?
  3. Did you try to do a system restore to an earlier date?

Please revert back for clarification.

6 Posts

October 26th, 2012 08:00

Hello Madhur,

The Ethernet port stopped working a few years ago and my previous attempts to fix it had failed so I had given up.I cannot remember what changes were made to cause it to stop working. This time I have put much more effort into trying to fix it once and for all.

I do not think a system restore point would be practical because I'd have to guess on a date 6 or 7 years ago. The chances of me guessing the right date is small and then I'd have to re-install many updates and patches I suspect. Do you agree?

Do you think it's a hardware issue or could it be another software program is conflicting with the hardware and preventing it from working?

thank you.

565 Posts

October 29th, 2012 00:00

Hi gentilr01,

It could be a hardware or software issue on the computer.

To confirm that lets check the software, by reinstalling Operating System on the computer.

If issue persists, the problem might be with the Ethernet port on the computer.

6 Posts

October 30th, 2012 09:00

Hello Madhur,

I am sorry but re-installing windows will require me to start from scratch on my computer and spend 2 days loading up all the programs and putting everything back the way it was - with still not guarantee of success. So unfortunately I cannot spend all of that time doing that. But thank you very much for your help on this - I appreciate it.

565 Posts

October 31st, 2012 05:00

Hi gentilr01,

I can understand that it can be time consuming to reinstall windows on the computer. One thing that can be done is to get a USB to Ethernet adapter and connect to internet with the cable. Here is the link for USB to Ethernet adapter: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&sku=a0193539 Please revert back for clarification.

Please revert back for clarification.

21 Posts

May 12th, 2013 00:00

I have encountered with a serious problem.

It is due to rainy cloud occurs Lightning, and my D-Link router was fused and therefore I replace the same with a new DIGISOL 150 router. The router, as done earlier, is connected to my roommate personal computer and therefore we are sharing the broadband connection. My roommate is using the same connection as usual.

Now, while I a  trying to connect to the LAN;

1. The LAN option, the TV icon type, is now not showing up, however the wireless option is there.
  2. Neither the Wifi is working, however it is showing connected.
  3. The most strange thing is, there is no connectvity through the Wifi as well however the Skpye chat is working for me, showing me online.

I have tried all the necessary option available to this forum form, using the regedit command to updating the drivers, however didn't find any solution.

May I request the technical expert in this area to provdie necessary guideline to go forward.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19507044.aspx#20365802

Regards,

Ishant Jain

This thread is locked, due to age.

If you need assistance, please create a new thread in the proper Dell Support Forum

Thank you

1 Message

November 15th, 2019 12:00

Enable intergrated NIC in BIOS. Press F2 at start up. Should be under system configuration or something.Had same issue and worked for me.

August 13th, 2020 14:00

I have a failure on Network Connection on Dell E5450

Intel® Ethernet Connection I218-LM

Driver Details
Provider Intel
Version 12.18.9.23
Date 4/20/2020
Device Details
Manufacturer Intel
Availability Running at full power
Status This device cannot start.
Installed True