Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 17th, 2008 04:00

Ethernet port won't enable

Recently my built-in Ethernet port will not enable EXCEPT when my laptop is plugged into the docking station, in which case it works fine.  When I try to enable the port, I get a "connection failed" message.

I have a Latitude D810 running XP with a Dell-supplied Broadcom NetExtreme Gigabit Ethernet card.  Anybody have an idea what's going on?  Not having connectivity when travelling is a real pain!  Thanks!

28K Posts

January 17th, 2008 05:00

Two things to try. 

Go to Device Manger, expand the listing for Network Adapters, right click the Broadcom Gigabit device and select Porperties.  On the Power Management tab, put a check mark next to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

If that doesn't fix it, Open the Dell Quickset Utility and see if there is an optoin for Internal Network Card Power Management.  If there is, select it and remove the selection for "Always deactivate on battery when network cable is unplugged".

Steve

15 Posts

January 18th, 2008 03:00

Thanks for your reply, Volcano.  Unfortunately neither solution worked -- I still get a "connection failed" message when I try to enable the Ethernet card.

Anybody have other ideas?  Remember, the card will enable when the laptop is docked.......

Thanks!!
No Events found!