Highlighted
DMengel
1 Copper

Extremely slow Ethernet connection - Dell XPS 8500

Hello everyone,

I have recently purchased a new Dell XPS 8500 desktop computer (running Windows 7) to replace my old Dell XPS 420 that died.

I have set up the internet connection on the new computer, however the Ethernet connection is painfully slow. Most webpages take forever to load, that is if they load at all. However, when I use my laptop on wireless, the speed is fine so there is no problem with the network - it must be an issue with the computer.

The laptop also works fine when connected via Ethernet.

Is there something hidden away in Internet settings that could be the cause of the slow speed, or could I just have a dodgy network card? I could easily buy a network card as there are empty slots to install. The computer will be under warranty, but would probably be easier to buy a network card for a few dollars and install myself rather than have someone come out.

I ran the Bigpond ADSL installation disk to install the relevant drivers and configure the settings automatically. I use a T-Gateway TG797n v3.

Any help would be appreciated. I am a novice, so please don't be too technical 🙂

Thanks in advance,

Dale

0 Kudos
1 Reply

Re: Extremely slow Ethernet connection - Dell XPS 8500

Hi Dale,

I appreciate that you have already tried a couple of troubleshooting steps. You could try the below steps and revert with the outcome.

1) Make sure your network drivers and Router firmware is updated. (Check your Router settings)

2) Disable any security program on your computer and check if it resolves the issue.

3) Go into SAFE mode with networking (tap F8 during start up) and see if the issue still occurs. If not, it is probably an application that is being loaded at start in normal mode that could be causing an issue.

4) Look at all running processes under Task Manager and END process one by one (the ones that you can) to see if any of them cause the problem.

Network driver link: http://dell.to/ZVQ5Yn

Also refer the below link for slow connection issues.

http://bit.ly/lv7ntK

Thanks and Regards
Harish M
#iworkfordell

To learn more about Dell Products, Services, and Drivers, click Here
0 Kudos