Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 3rd, 2004 11:00

Getting started: roaming connectivity

Have a new Inspiron XPS laptop.  I did not get any of the "wireless broadband router hot spot connectivty stuff" - I think.  Questions:

1) What would I look for under Device Manager to see what I have or dont have related to this?

2) What part would I need to order to have the ability to connect to the internet wirless while traveling around the country (assuming I get a service to allow it).

3) Anyone recommend a service?

Thanks

Todd

2.6K Posts

June 3rd, 2004 15:00

1) You are looking for an Intel 2100/2200 card, or a Dell 1350 or 1450 card under Network Adapters. If you dont have one of those 4, you dont have a wireless card

2) Depends on what you mean. If you just want access in bookstores and coffee shops and McDonalds that have hostspots, then one of the above 4 cards will do fine (assuming you pay for the service). If you want ubiquitous access (ie access anywhere you have a cell phone signal), then you'll need to talk to your cell phone carrier (be prepared to pay $200+ for a card + $30/mo).

3) For hotspot service, I am most impressed by Boingo Wireless.

217 Posts

June 3rd, 2004 17:00

Thanks MAtt,

Think I will go with the 1450 Truemobile card, and use Boingo hotspot's 2 daya at a time option when Im the road to test it out!

Todd

No Events found!