Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 30th, 2007 05:00

Having Problems Networking XP & Vista?

I post to several forums and for some reason this has been a real hot topic lately so I have written a "how-to" that worked for me and hopefully for you.

************************************************************************************

Vista wants two types of permissions, one for the Share and another for the files/folders that lie within the Shared folder.

Each account you want to have access MUST have a user account with a password on the Vista machine in order to share it.  I imagine the permisisons are just like any other, the lesser of the two will take precendence (I have not confirmed this but this is the way Server 2003 & 2008 behave).  This means that if you only give Read permissions on the share that will be all anyone will be able to do because the lesser permission will override a full access to the file.  Make sense?  You must think of permissions in two stages.  One set for the share and one set for the files.  The lesser of the two is what you get.

If you only set permisssions on the share and none for the files within the shared resource, you will get an Access Denied error.  My guess is this is where everyone is falling short by only setting permissions on the share.
In my example, I shared out a D drive the Vista machine and that was the name (D) given to the share. The hidden Admin share of D$ no longer exists within Vista for security reasons.   Click the advanced button and this is where you chnage the permissions on the share you just created. 

By default, the Everyone permission will have Ready only Access.  Add the Users or Groups who need access to the share and what their permissiosn should be.  For home use, give them full control.

Next click the Security tab and this is where you set the permisisons for the files within the share.  By default, the owner of those files will have full access.  If the user you need to share files with is not listed, you will have to create a user account on the Vista machine in order to share or use the "Everyone" permission, which I discourage.

You must make sure of two things up front.  #1 is to assure that you have enabled File & Print Sharing in the network center and also on the network card.  Unless you have a need for IPv6, turn if off.

795 Posts

August 30th, 2007 12:00

jmwills,

Respectfully, I have to disagree with some of your "how-to."  I have had no problem using the method posted here to set up Vista file sharing on plenty of Vista systems.

Yes, both sharing and security permissions need to be set at the appropriate control level, but user account names and passwords DO NOT have to match. 

Any mention of Server 2003 or Server 2008, or for that matter any domain based system on this forum is pretty much falling on deaf ears.  The vast majority of posters on this forum are home or small office users, wanting to do simple workgroup file sharing.  "Imagining" how permissions work is equally non-constructive.

I have yet to have a need to disable IPv6.

Perhaps we should focus on getting forum posters to: 1. Learn how to install drivers in the proper order. 2. Not post their service tag or email address. 3. Understand that installing the latest available driver will many times solve the problem. 4. In short, how to read the pinned posts at the top of the forum.

12K Posts

August 30th, 2007 13:00

True enough about the users.  Just let the "Everyone" permission ride and you are good to go.

For me, I would never let that permission stay on my machines.

The method works, wheteher it is over kill will yet to be decided.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 30th, 2007 17:00

Thanks to both of you for this thread. I have floated both threads to see what kind of traffic and resolution rate we get.

September 25th, 2007 19:00

How would I go about blocking another from viewing my files and folders?My roommate wants to get online with his putter (networking)I am the primary. How do I keep him from sharing anything on my putter.  Sandy

12K Posts

September 25th, 2007 20:00

Disable File and Print Sharing and then make sure the other person has no user accounts on your machine and make sure that you have strong passwords on both your account and the built-in Admin Account.

You can reach this applet by going to:

Control Panel>Admin Tools>Computer Management>Users and Groups>Local Users.

10 Posts

September 25th, 2007 21:00

Interesting to note there IS a proper order in which to install drivers. Where is this info please? I've set up a router but another pc can't pick up on the connection... any tips please?

12K Posts

October 20th, 2007 07:00

Ideally you would install  them in this order:

ChipSet>Video>Audio>Network   and then whatever you have left.

12K Posts

October 20th, 2007 08:00

No problem whatsoever!!

10 Posts

October 20th, 2007 08:00

Many thanks! Teresa

48 Posts

November 26th, 2007 17:00

Bill, thanks for floating both questions to the top.
I just ordered a new Dell 1720 today.
I have a Dell 1200 running XP and will want to network the two of them.
I was wondering if I was gonna have problems doing that but figured I'd worry about that when the time comes next Wed.
I'll come back then and read both post in full when I have my 'puter in front of me.
Thanks.

233 Posts

December 3rd, 2007 17:00

are you an admin?  PLEASE, i need your help.

i have been given some bad advise on the forum on how to keep my wireless conected to my network.  it doesn't seem to hold the conection and keeps switching to a non security enabled network.

i was told to check the router settings by going into the browser using my url address and uncheck security, then restart.  needless to say, it wouldn't restart, and since i now cannot connect to my own network at all, i can not get to the original page using that url to re-check the security and try to put this back the way it was.  can you PLEASE PLEASE help me fix this?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 3rd, 2007 18:00

If that means resetting the router and reconfiguring your security is not an option, I would suggest you start a new thread, as this is off topic for this one, and post details about your router model, firmware revision, wireless cards, pc models, internet connection type, etc, and we should be able to  help you out.

233 Posts

i have a dell 2350 router.  i just want to get back to connecting to 'my' network and not the non security enabled ones (3) that show up on my 'list'.

i don't know how to do that.

233 Posts

now i'm in a complete panic!

233 Posts

my goodness bill................i don't even know how to post all that you've mentioned. :smileyindifferent:
No Events found!