Highlighted
XxChRiS43xX
6 Indium

Having wireless networking issues on my Inspiron 1520, need help!

Ok, so this problem just suddenly happened the day before yesterday on my Inspiron 1520 with Vista. It was working fine until the computer just froze after I stopped using it for a while. I had no choice but to take of the battery to turn it off and then turn it back on again. When I did I guess something must have happened and now I can't connect to any internet wireless network.

When I click diagnose it gives me this window that says, "Network Diagnostics cannot run because the Diagnostics Policy Service is not running" below that there's a button that says, "Click to open Service Control Manager: You will need to manually start the Diagnostics Policy Service. Once this service is started, you can run Network Diagnostics." This confused me because it is always on and fixes problems automatically.

I click the button and it shows me a list with all the services, I click on Diagnostics Policy Service and from there I get lost. I went to Geek Squad for advice they told me I have two options, backup all my files and reinstall vista, or send it to Dell for them to fix the problem(I have warranty). But before I do anything I want to find out if any of you can help me fix this problem. I would like to add that I have a signal to other networks and when I connect to it it says "connected with limited access". So my wireless card is working yet I can't go internet browsing.

Inspiron 1520, Windows Vista(Upgraded to 7) Home Premium 32-bit, Intel Core 2 Duo T7800 2.6GHz, 4GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT 256MB.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
8 Krypton

Re: Having wireless networking issues on my Inspiron 1520, need help!

when you open the service look at the middle of the box and it will state the Start up type. Should be manual if you click on it it will provide a list of options for the service. Just below that line is the Service status line it will state the current status of the service either started or stopped with a button to start or stop it.

Next open device manager, look at the listing for your network adapter and make sure there are no ! or X next to any of them.

You may want to try reinstalling your wireless adapter driver.

Home Built Sandy Bridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 GHz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 10 Pro

Forum member since 2003

0 Kudos