Highlighted
matt777lee
1 Copper

Help - Cannot install wireless adapter driver

From the Dell Drivers and Downloads page, I downloaded the WiFi Link 5300 driver (R213215.exe) assuming it would enable my WiFi to run.  I tried to install it and was met with an error message: "This installation is not supported on this operating system version.  The setup application will exit."  It will not install and my WiFi is still down.

My system is an Alienware m15x with Windows 7 64-bit.  I recently re-installed Windows due to a small bug that was hampering Google Chrome.  Before I re-installed Windows, the WiFi was working just fine.  Could anyone help point out what is wrong, or perhaps direct me to a working WiFi driver?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
PudgyOne
6 Indium

Re: Help - Cannot install wireless adapter driver

matt777lee,

Did you install the drivers in the correct order? How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

0 Kudos
matt777lee
1 Copper

It seems the first and most important item on that list, the Desktop System Software, is not on the Dell Driver page.  Your link tells me to look under the "System Utilities" category; under that category, there is only one item, an Alienware wallpaper application (AWimages.zip)  I'm assuming this is not the right software.  The problem seems to be the Desktop System Software because #2 on the list, the Chipset, won't install correctly.  Furthermore, #3, the PCMCIA, is nowhere to be found on the Driver page because there is no "Security" category.

0 Kudos
PudgyOne
6 Indium

matt777lee,

There is no Notebook system utility for this model. All the items under chipset need installed first or the rest of the drivers will fail to install.

Since the is an Alienware system, I was told the command center gets installed last.

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

0 Kudos