Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 10th, 2010 21:00

Help - Dell Studio XPS 1645 Won't Connect to the Internet

I took my new Dell XPS 1645 out of the box today, and for some reason it fails to connect to my Verizon FIOS internet. After 8 hours of tech support and various methods of my own design, I have completely failed to get my Dell online. When I check the status of my network connection the IPv4 alternates between 'Internet' and 'No Internet', while the IPv6 alternatives between 'No internet' and 'No Network'.

A few of the things I've done:

Reinstalled the network adapter drivers

Power Cycle the Modem

Ensure my laptop is set to automatically detect IPv6 and IPv4 settings

Ensure my router/modem automatically assigns IP addresses

Manually create IP and Mac Address exceptions in my router/modem

Restore to Factory Defaults

Verizon Network and Internet Diagnostic Tools

Internet Explorer Diagnostic Tools

Use Wired and Wireless Connection

Calling Dell and Verizon Tech Support and remote assistance

etc. etc. etc.

A few things about my connection:

As I've said, it's Verizon FIOS

I have two desktops, a laptop, a PS3, and two Xbox 360's fully connected to my network. The PC's use Windows XP.

My Router/Modem is an Actiontec MI424-WR Rev. D

I think the problem might have something to do with the TCP/IP Protocol, but I'm not quite sure. I've read multiple posts on other forums about how Verizon and the Actiontec Modem I use do not support IPv6 Protocol. I've tried disabling the IPv6 Protocol from the Network Properties, but that didn't work.

If anyone can figure this out, I will be eternally grateful. You will also be an official tech God for figuring this out; nothing short of divine intervention is necessary to solve this problem.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 11th, 2010 15:00

Cten5,

I usually recommend using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings in your wireless router, I use channel 11.

Use DHCP and do NOT use Mac Address filtering. Make sure your wireless router has enough ip addresses to allow the new computer.

Rick

4 Posts

August 11th, 2010 18:00

Unfortunately, my modem already had almost all of your suggested settings. I messed with the encryption and that did not help. I also experimented with various channels and that did nothing. Any other thoughts?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 12th, 2010 09:00

Cten5,

When I had Verizon(but didn't have Fios), my setup was...

wall > Verizon router/modem > Linksys wireless router > wired/wireless

Everything had a DSL Filter, except the DSL modem/router.

Make sure your wireless card is enabled in the bios.

Can you connect in the safe mode with networking?

Did you try turning off the Verizon modem and your wireless router, wait 30 seconds, then turn on the Verizon modem/router, then wait 15 seconds, then turn on your wireless router?

Try pressing Fn and F2, turn on the switch, to turn on your wireless card?

Rick

4 Posts

August 12th, 2010 14:00

None of your suggestions have worked. I have tried all of these already.

I have request a field technician come over to replace the network card, because many people seem to think that this is the problem. I am somewhat pessimistic, because I have read about other people experiencing similar issues regardless of equipment. Nevertheless, I am willing to give it a try.

If you can think of any further suggestions related to networking, I would greatly appreciate it.

December 14th, 2010 14:00

Cten5,

I usually recommend using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings in your wireless router, I use channel 11.

Use DHCP and do NOT use Mac Address filtering. Make sure your wireless router has enough ip addresses to allow the new computer.

Rick

This is what I'm looking for, Many thanks to your description!
No Events found!