Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

October 24th, 2012 11:00

Help! My dell wont connect to wifi anymore.

I called the cable and router companies, both say they are working fine.

It was working fine this morning... then *

* now I have to be hard wired.

I have tried pushing the Fn key along with F2 key and, pushing the F2 key by itself... nothing.

I'm very uneducated on computers.

I need a step-by-step answer to fix this problem please.

Thank you for your time!

Sign me... tied to the ethernet cable   :(

October 24th, 2012 13:00

Hi,

Since when are you unable to connect to the wireless network? Please follow the steps below:

1. Try to connect to the internet in an alternate browser like Mozilla Firefox.
2.  Boot the system in Safe Mode with Networking. To boot the computer in Safe Mode with Networking, please switch on the computer and start tapping the F8 key which would take you to Advanced Boot Option screen. Using the up and down arrow key, select Safe Mode with Networking to boot the computer into Safe Mode with Networking. Check if you can connect to the internet wirelessly.
3. Check if any other computers are working.
4. Reset the router. Unplug the wireless router for 30 seconds and replug it. Try connecting to the internet wirelessly.

Please reply.

Thanks and Regards
Priyanka S
#iworkfordell

October 24th, 2012 15:00

Hi Priyanka,

I am having similiar issues.  I'm a school tech with a large wireless network.  There are approximately 200-250 wireless devices running on the network at any time.  The school has 29 Dell Latitude D600's.  In the last 3 days 10 of them have all stopped working wirelessly.  They all have a Dell Truemobile 1400 Dual Band WLAN Mini-PCI Card installed OEM. 

In all cases, in the Windows Device Manager, I am getting the error "This device cannot start. (Code 10)".  I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling the hardware, I have booted in Safe Mode With Networking, I have reinstalled Windows from the original Install Disk, and I have tried re-imaging them.  All to no avail.  I tried to contact Broadcom (the card's manufacturer) about the availability of a new driver and their response was "contact the system manufacturer".  I tried to find new drivers on the Dell website and I even tried the online diagnostic tool found there.  The diagnostic came back clean with no issues reported.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Robert H

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 24th, 2012 16:00

Robert,

What virus programs are involved? If McAfee, this happened a few months ago but sometimes resurfaces. Software Updates Causes Wireless Connectivity Issue Or Unable to Connect to Internet

Did you try...

Power off your ISP modem/router and your wireless router(if any) for 30 seconds. Then power on the ISP modem/router. Wait 15 seconds, then power on the wireless router(if any)

Restart the computer and try to connect.

What happens?

Rick

October 26th, 2012 10:00

Hi Rick,

There are no virus programas involved (other than Microsoft Security Essentials) at the local level.  Because this is a school district network, it has a content filter at the main server with in-system virus protection.  

In this school there is a multi-port wireless/wired critical network running.  There are over 200 devices active at all times (24/7).  This system can not be shut down or turned off.  It is a critical system.  

I have 50 Latitude D600's and D610's (plus netbooks, Toshiba laptops, MacBooks, desktops, etc).  10 of them seem to have lost their link to the wireless driver in the last week.  All of the other machines are working fine.  

Microsoft Update doesn't have the driver on their website when the Device Manager tries to find the appropriate driver.  I cannot find the appropriate driver .inf file on your website.  What I need is the drivers for the wireless adapters so that I can reinstall them.  

The D600's all have a "Dell Truemobile 1400 Dual Band WLAN Mini-PCI Card" as listed in the Windows Device Manager.  The D610's have a "Dell Wireless 1370 WLAN mini-PCI Card" as listed in the Windows Device Manager.  Can you point me in the direction of the appropriate drivers so that I can reinstall them on the faulty machines?

Thank you,

Robert H

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 26th, 2012 16:00

Robert,

Dell Control Point can be a problem on some systems. It's not reallt needed, if you want to try it.

How can I disable wireless configuration services and enable the Windows XP Wireless Zero Configuration services

How to start Wireless Zero Configuration using Vista/Windows 7

I would first try going to device manager, network adapter, advanced. Look for antenna diversity, If the adapter had Antenna Diversity, change it from Auto to Aux.

There was this article a while back that may or may not help. Dell Wireless 1300/1350/1370/1390/1395/1397/1400/1450/1470/1490/1500/1505/1510/1520 WLAN (Broadcom 43xx chip-based) cards, quickest and easiest solutions

During electriv\cal storms and power flickers, it can sometimes mess with wireless adapters and wireles networks. Power-cycliny them brings everything back working.

Running a Finding System Information or an ipconfig /all log will tell you the adapter and an ip address. A 169.154 ip address will be the communications with the router.

Rick

No Events found!