Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 1st, 2012 22:00

Hotspot Station Wireless Connection Question

I recently acquired a new Dell Desktop Computer and it came Hotspot
Wireless Connection.  I have a Dell Laptop which has wireless
connection capability.  Both computers have Win7.  I setup Hotspot Station on the desktop so I
can turn it on and off as needed (with a good solid password :).  I
also setup the laptop for wireless connection and it sees the desktop
connection and I can login into the Internet with the proper password.
Works great!

Now, the problem - it only connecs if the laptop is in the same room
with the desktop (in my Den)!  If I take the laptop to another room or
the patio, it loses the connection, but reconnects it if I bring it
back into the Den with the desktop.  Why is this and how do I increase
the range of the connection so I can use the connection on the laptop
other than just in my Den.

I  look at the other potential wireless connetions on the laptop and
see a lot that are, of course, outside my Den.

So, what do I need to do to get more range on my Hotspot connection
between the desktop and laptop.

Thanks for any insights/suggestions.

Gumboman

28 Posts

October 2nd, 2012 18:00

Item 1:  The Desktop is connected to the Internet via a wired Comcast cable.  Inside the Desktop box is a Wireless card that, when started, allows other computers to signin and access the Internet via the Desktop.  The internet connection is done thru "HotSpot Station" Software that was included with the purchase of the Dell Computer.

Item 2:  The Desktop is the XPS 8500 purchased about a month ago.

Thanks for any further insights.

gumboman

2.2K Posts

October 2nd, 2012 18:00

Hi Gumboman,

It seems to be an issue with the range of the wireless device connected to your desktop. I would request you to provide the following information so that I can help you in a better way:

1. Could you inform how do you connect to wireless network, if it is a wireless card or a dongle?
(Wireless card is inside the desktop tower, whereas, a Dongle is connected to the USB port)

2. What is the model of the desktop?

The laptop is working fine as it is able to detect various available wireless networks.

I would like to inform you that wireless cards or dongles connected to computers have limited wireless range and for better range, routers are recommended.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

2.2K Posts

October 3rd, 2012 18:00

Hi Gumboman,

Thanks for the reply it has helped a lot.

1 Please run PC Checkup - Wireless test / Dell / Intel Wireless Utility Diagnostics. If the test fails, it means there is some problem with the wireless.
2 Kindly check the distance, If more than 30 feet, it is the distance and interference issue.
3 In case you would like to use the wireless outside the room, I would suggest you to buy Wireless range expander, External antenna or a Router.

Please respond for further assistance.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

28 Posts

October 4th, 2012 12:00

I am not acquainted with PC Checkup!  Who makes it and how solid is it.  I looked it up on the Internet and looked for reviews of it and found mostly negative comments on it.  Some saying not to trust it.  Have you used it for awhile?

gumboman

2.2K Posts

October 4th, 2012 17:00

Hi Gumboman,

Apologies for not explaining the process of doing PC Checkup.

PC Checkup is a hardware diagnostic tool in Dell Support Centre which is installed on most of the Dell systems. The diagnostics are arranged broadly into two categories for a simple user experience, Default and Custom  Scan.

For more information on PC checkup please click on the link below:http://dell.to/RWpmLJ

To check the functionality of the wireless card, please run custom scan on wireless card by following the steps below:

1. Click Start, All Programs, Dell, Dell Support Center and Launch PC Checkup.
2. There would be an option to do Custom Test, click on Custom Test and then click on Wireless Card.

In case you do not have PC checkup installed on the computer, please click on http://dell.to/QM7yiW , select your region, click on Download Now to download the software and follow the install shield wizard.

For reference, you can also click on http://dell.to/SvwUY0

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell  

28 Posts

October 7th, 2012 16:00

Thanks for the reply;

I tried running PC Checkup per your instructions (it was located in "
Start, All Programs, Dell, Dell Support Center"), and it would not
start and provided the following error:

License Authentication Failed
This version of Dell Support Center is not licensed to run on this
system

And Pc Cleanup will not start.  So how do I fix this problem so I can
run Pc Cleanup on my system?

How do I get Dell Support Center licensed on my computer?

gumboman

2.2K Posts

October 8th, 2012 11:00

Hi Gumboman,

I would like to help you resolve the same.

1. Open Services.msc by clicking on Start > Type Services.msc > press enter. It will show list of services.

2. Please make sure services – Windows Management Instrumentation and WMI Performance Adapter – are started and set for automatic startup.

3. In case, it is not, right click on the service and select automatic.

4. Try the Dell Support Center again after restarting the computer.

5. In case, it still does not work try to uninstall the Dell Support Center from Control Panel. Click on Start > type Control Panel > click on Control Panel from the list select Dell Support Center and click uninstall.

6. After uninstalling the software, install the software from http://dell.to/QM7yiW , select your region, click on Download Now to download the software and follow the install shield wizard.

7. Dell Support Center does not work in Safe Mode.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell  

28 Posts

October 8th, 2012 15:00

I followed your instructions and in Services.msc, Windows Management Instrumentation was already started and on automatic.  WMI Performane Adapter was not started and on Manual.  I started it and set it to Automatic.  Restarted the computer, and once it was up, nothing would work.  Every program I tried whould not start at all or if the program window came up (it was always blank), it would indicate "Not Responding".  I waited a long time and nothing changed.  I was finally able to get back into Services.msc. stopped WMI Performance Adapter, set it back to Manual, restarted the computer and everything was back to normal.  So, this WMI.... thing really causes serious problems.

So, I am back to where I was.

gumboman

2.2K Posts

October 8th, 2012 16:00

Hi Gumboman,

I would suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the Dell Support Centre.

To uninstall the Dell Support Center from Control Panel. Click on Start > type Control Panel > click on Control Panel from the list select Dell Support Center and click uninstall.

After uninstalling the software, install the software from the link below: http://dell.to/QM7yiW , once open, select your region, click on Download Now to download the software and follow the install shield wizard.

In case, it still does not work I am sending you a private message please click on my name highlighted in blue. On the next page, click the envelope icon and provide the system’s Service Tag and contact information so I may access your system records. Please reply to my private message.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

No Events found!