Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 27th, 2017 19:00

How do I get my wired desktop Homegroup to be visible to my wireless laptop?

It seems I have to wire my laptop to the router in order for both to see the same Homegroup.  Yet even then the laptop cannot open any of the shared folders on the desktop.  I read some posts on the internet that said it was due to the Verizon wireless router needing an update.  I worked with the Verizon tech support and they said it was not the router but they could fix the home networking problem with a purchase of their extra tech support.  Figured I should try Dell first.  The desktop is a Dell Studio XPS.  The laptop is a Dell  Inspiron 13 5378.  Both are running Windows10.

9.4K Posts

September 28th, 2017 06:00

Hi kdwetzel2,

Thanks for posting.

Here is some information you may find helpful: http://dell.to/2xHFuwc

8 Posts

September 28th, 2017 14:00

Thanks for the link but I've followed that process several times.  The problem is not creating a Homegroup.  The problem is the wireless laptop does not see the wired desktop and the wired desktop does not see the wireless laptop.  Therefore, the laptop cannot join the desktop and the desktop cannot join the laptop.  I have a little success when I wire the laptop to the router where I can then see and join the desktop but still all I can do is see the desktop shared folders but cannot open the folders to see what's in them.

9.4K Posts

September 29th, 2017 04:00

This is sounding more like a router issue rather than a computer issue.  Which router are you using?  And, have you tried contacting the routers tech support?

8 Posts

September 30th, 2017 13:00

Yes, I did.  That was in my original post.

9.4K Posts

October 2nd, 2017 06:00

Ok, then please perform a systems diagnostics test by pressing F12 at startup, then make notes of any error messages, and contact Dell Tech Support.  

You can contact Tech Support at 1-800-624-9896 or 1-800-288-4410, or you can initiate a chat session http://dell.to/2v4snVm

No Events found!