Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 13th, 2004 16:00

I don't have an Ethernet Port on my 4300S Dimension to install my new DSL Modem Will an adapter work?

I finally decided to get DSL service to I don't have to forward my home phone to my cell phone (lots of charges) or pay for a second line, and speed is now important.  I got the package from my phone company, Qwest, called my Alarm company, started with the power cord, then I went to plug the Ethernet cable into the back of my computer and voila no Ethernet port?  If I buy an adapter at say Radio Shack will it work, or is my computer not capable of this.  I am not very savvy at this, I can follow instructions, but now I am stumped.  I would appreciate any and all advice.  Thanks.

2.2K Posts

March 13th, 2004 18:00

If you have WinXP and an open  PCI slot, it should be  easy. Most PCI network cards are automatically installed under WinXP, so just shut down and unplug your system... open case, place new card in slot (probably have to remove slot cover on computer back), cover on, plug in, start up, and Windows should detect and install new network adapter - if not, I'm sure whatever you get will have its own drivers, which you may prefer to use, as Windows drivers tend to be rather generic....

On a similar note, my brother got a 2300 about a year and a half ago... He had no ethernet adapter, but his cable modem was  ethernet or USB... spent a good chunk of the afternoon trying to use USB. No luck. Decided to buy an ethernet card (under $20)... literally a matter of minutes later he was online... If I can do it, I'm sure it is not difficult.

Good luck.

No Events found!