Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 1st, 2004 07:00

I'm stumped and so is tech support

OK here's the deal.  Up until recently everything was going fine with my 600m with the 2100 pci card and 1184 wireless router.  I get internet through a college ethernet connection.  I would be connected to the router with an excellent signal the whole time, but I would lose the ability to browse the internet after about 5 minutes.  Reset the router, internet for 5 minutes, no more.  Connected to the router the whole time (can log in and change prefs etc.)  Problem is most likely with the router because I can connect with other networks just fine (not the wireless card) and plugging directly into the wall gives me a good, constant connection (not the connection).  Dell sends me a new router.  Same problem.  I called back and tech support is stumped.  I have no idea what to do now other than buy another brand of router since I now possess 2 Dell routers that drop the internet after about 5 minutes (also, plugging into the LAN does the same thing).  Any ideas from anyone?  I'm at a loss at what to do....

695 Posts

May 1st, 2004 13:00

If you are not using WPA encryption, turn off IEEE 802.1x authentication.

21 Posts

May 1st, 2004 17:00

Thanks for the suggestion.  I checked and it's off...

7 Posts

May 2nd, 2004 04:00

I had a similar problem, I did two things simultaneously; I put the router in an area where it got more air movement and updated the firmware. I have yet to have a problem.

21 Posts

May 2nd, 2004 05:00

I think I've got the most recent firmware (2.12).  Is there a new one or a patch?

24 Posts

May 18th, 2004 03:00

linksys routers are a bit funky like that. I had one that was doing that, and I updated the firmware on it, and changed the wireless channel to something else.. Cordless phones will knock you off rather quickly if there are any around. Also, you might consider checking the wireless connection and verifying that the built in XP firewall is turned off. Sounds kinda silly, but it shot my signal strength from good to Excellent after I disabled that.
Side note: I finally got sick of the linksys and bought myself a d-link router.. much much better.

hope this helps
No Events found!