Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 24th, 2006 23:00

I8600 no wireless connection after format/reinstall

I just formated my Inspiron 8600 due to some virus and spyware that I couldn't get rid of. Reinstalled windows, but must have lost the Utility disk to reinstall some of the drivers (video, Network adapter, and wireless adapter). I logged onto the dell site from a different computer and downloaded the applicable drivers for my devices. Seemed to work fine. They are all now recognized

I can't connecto wireless though. When I scan for networks in the area it's real sporatic. Sometimes it comes up with severl, sometimes none at all. I've got the computer right next to my D-Link DI-624. When it does recognize the router the signal streangth is full green bars. However, when I try to connect, it searches and then gives me a message indicating that it cannot connect because the "network may no longer be in range." Everything else is working fine and other computers are able to connect to the same wireless router. I am also not able to connect to my neighbors networks that indicate good signal strength.

Any ideas?
-Dave

28K Posts

September 25th, 2006 01:00

Which wireless network adapter do you have on that machine?  If it is an Intel wireless adapter, I suggest going to the Intel website and getting the lastest drivers.   Also, did you install the chipset drivers for the motherboard prior to installing the drivers for any other devices.  Without the chipset drivers, Windows may not be able to properly install the drivers for many other devices.

Steve

6 Posts

September 25th, 2006 01:00

The wireless adapter is the Intel PRO/Wireless 2100. I have downloaded the drivers from the Intel site and tried to use the PROset Intel software to trouble shoot with not much luck. The Radio on/off seems to cycle when it's trying to connect obviously turning the signal off.

I did not think of trying to install the Chipset drivers for the board. I have the Centrino processor. Is it necessary that I install those before the other drivers? I'll check for updates on the Dell website..

-Dell

28K Posts

September 25th, 2006 03:00

Is it necessary that I install those before the other drivers? Didn't I just say that it is in my first reply?

Steve

6 Posts

September 27th, 2006 03:00

No dice..  I uninstalled the wireless drivers, then installed chipset drivers.  I still get the same problems.  Does anyone have any other ideas?  Is there any way that the card itself could have been damaged durig the software install?

-Dave

28K Posts

September 27th, 2006 03:00

You may have to start over.  Reformat, reinstall Windows, then install the drivers in the correct order.

Steve

28K Posts

September 27th, 2006 22:00

Which wireless network adapter do you have installed on that machine?  Are you now running antivirus software with up to date virus definitions?   Can you connect to the internet through a wired ethernet connection?   Have you updated Windows to the latest service pack and security updates?

Steve

6 Posts

September 27th, 2006 22:00

I did that as well.  I did a quick format, reinstalled windows, frist installed chipset driver then wireless driver.  Same problem.  This one is getting annoying.

-Dave

6 Posts

September 27th, 2006 23:00

Which wireless network adapter do you have installed on that machine?  Are you now running antivirus software with up to date virus definitions?   Can you connect to the internet through a wired ethernet connection?   Have you updated Windows to the latest service pack and security updates?

Intel PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 A3 mini PCI adapter.  I am running current Mcfee antivirus software.  I can and am currently connected to the internet via the wired ethernet card which works fine.  My reinstall of windows included SP2 and I have turned on and downloaded all automatic updates.

-Dave

28K Posts

September 28th, 2006 00:00

Do a search on google for netstumbler.   Download the free program, install it, and run it.   Use it for a while to monitor your network and your neighbor's networks.   Do you see the same behavior (i.e. signal strength going up and down)?

Steve

6 Posts

October 5th, 2006 00:00

I downloaded Network stumbler and have run  it a few times to see what I get.  I can usually pick up 5 or 6 networks from my house.  I still have my laptop at the same desk as the wireless router, so I get exelent signal strength on my own network (about a reading of 30) with no interuptions.  The other networks in my area are much weaker with signal strengths between 65 and 85.  I was never able to connec to my neighbors networks because most of them are secure.  All of the wireless signals except for my own also seem to have sporatic connectivity.  I also occationally see a purple line in the graph of my own network which judging by the help screen may mean a temporary disconnect. 

I also plan to run the program on the other computer in the house with wireless to compair, but haven't had time yet.  I'll re-post with those results.

-Dave
No Events found!