Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 2nd, 2005 00:00

IE and Firefox slowing down

I posted this on the Win XP board too but this may be the better place

I've had this problem on my old computer and now my new one --and have run Adaware, Spybot and using NAV. I'm on comcast cable modem services. When I go into Firefox, generaslly the home page loads fine, I can move between pages easily for a while; after a few minutes, movement is very slow (and/or I get page can't be displayed or not found). I've cleaned out the temp internet files. On my old system I had 512mb RAM, new system 1 gb. On a related issue, I also find myself wondering about changing the cable modem (moto 4100) which is >6 yrs old but seems to have no overt problems and/or the router (netgear 814). I can network w/ my ibook and move around the net well; even on the sites that the desktop says "not found"
I recognize that I may be combining issues, but thoughts, ideas appreciated
thx, alan

559 Posts

This depends on how much you are surfing the web. If you surf a lot then even though you clean up the temporary internet files they may be getting clogged while you surf so that it gradually slows down. To fix this you can try lowering the disk space that is allowed for temporary internet files. Go to tool in internet explorer, click internet options, and under the general tab and temporary internet files box click settings. Then in the bottom right corner change the number to 128mb. That should be a low enough number.

28K Posts

When you ran Ad-Aware and Spybot, did they find significant problems to get ride (besides tracking cookies)?  Note that Ad-Aware and Spybot, while good and free, do not find all possible spyware and internet parasites.   If you found some, then it is highly probable that other are lurking that these programs didn't find.   I would suggest that you go Here and follow the directions to download and run the analysis tool called HijackThis. Generate a log file, then open it and copy and paste the text of the log file in a message in the HijackThis forum where a HijackThis expert can offer advice on how to fix the problem.

I don't understand your other issue.  Can you provide more detail or a better worded description of what you want to do?

Steve

12K Posts

November 2nd, 2005 04:00

Your Home Page is loading fast because it is more than likely cached and not the most current version.  I'd check the Spyware route.

2.7K Posts

November 2nd, 2005 06:00

also firefox slows down if you have a few plugins. eg the tab plugin slows firefox a bit
No Events found!