Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 29th, 2010 05:00

INTEL 5300 with MY WIFI

The basic question, is how do I use this.  Can't seem to figure out where to start.  I looked for software dealing with it, looking in wireless networking can't find and reference to it.

It shows up in the system devices so I know it and at least the driver is installed.

XPS16 win7 64biit

Thanks for your time,

ED

2 Posts

January 29th, 2010 11:00

I reading more on the intel site I found out that there are some utillies needed to make the MY WIFI work.  Well Dell never installed the the programs just the driver. 

Well I got every thing running now.

Thanks,

Ed

15 Posts

December 30th, 2010 20:00

What utilities did you need?  Dell has been incredibly unhelpful with this.  Tech support denied that MY WIFI even exists, though Dell advertised it when I bought my computer.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 30th, 2010 20:00

sn00p,

Do you have the 5300 wireless adapter?

Rick

15 Posts

January 19th, 2011 09:00

Sure do!  5300 AGN

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 19th, 2011 10:00

sn00p,

Make a system restore point.

My WiFi Technology Article

Go to Intel's website and download the drivers.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/mywf/sb/CS-030009.htm

You then need to uninstall the Intel ProSet drivers in the control panel, then restart your computer.

Install the drivers you just downloaded, then restart your computer.

The look at THIS THREAD it explains how to install it. This would NOT install on my computer with Vista 64-bit but did install on the same computer that was using Windows 7 64-bit.

Rick

15 Posts

January 20th, 2011 07:00

Thanks for taking the time to respond Rick... much appreciated!

I will give your suggestions a shot in the next day or so and let you know how well it works.

With fingers crossed, best regards,

sn00p

15 Posts

January 20th, 2011 12:00

Hey, fantastic!  Thanks to your help Rick, I finally got it to work after a year and a half of trying. 

One point which you didn't make and I somehow managed to figure out on my own... to share the internet with another device once the computer finally concedes that you have the proper adapter, you have to not only click the "share my internet" button, you also have to create a new profile-- the default profile seems to not work for sharing, even though you can see it broadcasting.

Thanks again!

Best,

sn00p

15 Posts

January 20th, 2011 17:00

For anyone else who might be struggling with the "my wifi technology," (MWT) boy, is it balky.  Now that I've road tested it, when it works, it's fantastic.  I've managed to stream a netflix video through my computer to my iphone using MWT with not much of a problem, but only with one device at a time.  Doesn't work with two devices (iphone, ipad).  I don't think it's the throughput that's the problem as everything is running at 54 MBPS; it might be a channel issue or something.  Who knows?  The system is really not user friendly.

More importantly, after getting MWT going and setting up the internet sharing, it does not recover from hibernation.  After a hibernation, the MWT utility goes back to the same, "no intel my wifi compatable adapter found."  When I look in the network and sharing center, only the primary internet connection is there, the MWT connection is not.  The only way to set it up again is to restart the computer, then reopen the MWT utility, unshare the internet with the button, then share it again.  It's a bit ridiculous... I thought we had figured out how to make wifi connections simple years ago? 

Good luck to whomever else tries to get MWT to work!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 21st, 2011 03:00

sn00p,

Just saw your second post.

Try these tweaks...

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Go to each USB Root Hub and right click on it, left click properties, left click power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Restart your computer.

--------------------------------------

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager). Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 21st, 2011 03:00

sn00p,

Sorry for the delay. was busy with work. I understand you got this working, but small issues.

What is the make and model of your wireless router?

What type of security are you using?

What channel?

Rick

15 Posts

January 25th, 2011 09:00

Hi Rick,

Thanks again.  I tried your suggestions, but still, when my computer emerges from hibernaiton, it is still unable to find my adapter.  Luckily, when I do a fresh boot, MWT works.  I find it amazing that there is no way of resetting MWT while the computer is turned on.

Unfortunately, I can't do anything at this point except blame Intel for providing very, very poor software.  For something which they pushed so hard initially, it's a bit disappointing to see how poorly it's excecuted.

In any case, it works well enough for my purposes now, i just wish the software was less balky.

Best,

sn00p

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 25th, 2011 09:00

sn00p,

What type of security are you using in your wireless router? Did you try these Recommended Wireless Router Settings, I use channel 11.

I think the software is in their thinking, using a wireless N network and that way is peeds things up.

Take care,

Rick

No Events found!