Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 25th, 2014 07:00

Inspirion 15 5000, Wireless AC-3160, Fluctuating signal and extremely slow

I very recently purchased the Dell Inspirion 15 5000 series laptop with the Intel (R) Dual Band Wireless AC-3160 however i have noticed that the connection to the Wi-Fi in my home when using wireless is extremely slow and the signal bar fluctuates from 1 bar to 5 and often just disconnects. The wireless adapter works fine when i am right next to the router however in my bedroom it is extremely slow even when there are a few bars of connection and so i am forced to use an Ethernet  cable to connect. I feel that this is not a problem with the router or my Wi-Fi in my home because the laptop i used prior to buying this one worked perfectly and other laptops in the house also get full bars of connection and high speeds in my room however my laptop does not.  I have tried updating drivers which say they are already up to date, i have run the dell troubleshoot which has made no difference, and i have tried other troubleshoots in the control panel which said it found a problem and said it was fixed however there has been absolutely no change so i am beginning to think that the wireless card may be faulty. Any help would be immensely appreciated so thank you in advance.

19 Posts

September 17th, 2014 10:00

Good luck getting Bestbuy to take anything back.  You better get the return policy in writing and you better take it back one day before the deadline or forget it.

2 Posts

September 17th, 2014 15:00

Thanks for posting your info and for saving me alot of time & aggravation. Back to Dell it goes!

September 17th, 2014 17:00

"Setting HT mode to Disabled fixed my problem getting the laptop to work when I'm further away from the router and only have 2 or 3 bars.

However I have another problem now in that when the laptop goes to sleep, and I wake it up, it says my wireless adapter is having a problem and has been disabled.  I figure it's another configuration error but I don't have any more time and am sending the laptop back to Dell today."

I got around that problem by looking it up from Microsoft but in my opinion that isn't a permanent fix.  I think it might be a problem with the new driver Dell support downloaded from Intel's website on my laptop or it could be another configuration option.  But I just don't have time to try different things.

From Microsoft:

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

Updated: January 9, 2013

Applies To: Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2012, Windows Vista

Device Manager displays the following message in the Device Properties dialog box, on the General tab, in the Device Status text box:

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

Resolution

To resolve this problem, do the following.

1. To open Device Manager, click Start, click Search programs and files, and then type Device Manager. A list of available matching items appears above the search box; click Device Manager. Device Manager opens with your computer name at the top and a list of devices that are installed on your computer beneath your computer name.

2. Locate the malfunctioning device in the list of devices, right-click the device, and then click Uninstall. When a warning message appears that you are uninstalling a device from your system, click OK. Device manager uninstalls the device.

3. Right-click your computer name in Device Manager and click Scan for hardware changes. Device manager scans your system and automatically reinstalls your device.

4. Right-click the device and click Properties. On the General tab of the device Properties dialog box, in Device status, you should see the message This device is working properly.

If the steps above do not resolve the problems with the device, and if the device is an external drive, such as a USB flash drive or external hard drive, use the taskbar icon to safely eject the device, then unplug the device from the computer. For devices that use AC power, unplug the device from the electrical outlet or power strip, wait 30 seconds, and then plug it back in. Turn on the device power switch, and then plug it in to your computer. If the device includes a drivers disk, ensure that you have it handy to install the device drivers; otherwise, Windows should automatically locate the correct drivers and install them.

If you do not have a driver disk and Windows cannot automatically detect the drivers, it means that your hardware manufacturer has not uploaded the drivers for your device to Windows Update. If this is the case, you must go to your device manufacturer web site to download or request the most recent drivers for your device.

For more information about how to diagnose the problem:

1. See the hardware documentation.

2. Run the diagnostic tool Hardware devices are not working or are not detected in Windows on the Microsoft Fix it Center.

Additional information

To verify that a device is compatible with Windows® 7, see the Windows 7 Compatibility Center.

To discuss hardware issues and compatibility in Windows 7, use the TechNet Windows 7 Hardware Compatibility forum.

To discuss hardware issues and compatibility in Windows Vista, use the TechNet Windows Vista Hardware forum.

What is this for? Will this make my Dell go faster than dial up?

19 Posts

September 18th, 2014 11:00

When I set HT mode to Disabled, the laptop worked at any distance I tried, including on my porch.  It seemed fast to me even when I only had 2 bars.

But then I had the other problem with the windows message Code 43 after I left the laptop and it went to sleep.  I have run out of time trying things.  Sorry.

7 Posts

September 18th, 2014 13:00

the latest driver from intel site worked for me. the driver that was shipped didnt work, and the latest driver on dell didnt work. Go straight to intel if you are still having problems and want the latest.

10 Posts

September 18th, 2014 16:00

I had issues trying to go through Intel. Tried to upgrade using their automated applet and got a message saying something about not being able to find the driver and to go through the manufacturer since the driver I needed was likely created/licensed specifically for Dell (or something to that effect). Of course when I went through Dell, it installed the same drivers that came on the laptop.

12 Posts

September 18th, 2014 20:00

Hate to be the barrier of bad news, my wifes Inspiron 14 5447 has the problem everyone is complaining about. We formatted the entire laptop and did a fresh install of Windows 7. Problem is still there, only solution she has is to be unnecessarily close to the router or to use her TP link USB adapter.

12 Posts

September 18th, 2014 20:00

The speed you see in the configuration utility is actually the speed your wireless card/adapter is connecting to your router. But the higher that number is the faster your speed is even if your ISP is only giving lets say 40Mbps. Think of it like a straw and a thick milkshake.

1 Message

October 29th, 2014 16:00

Hello Holdenr

Does it make any difference?

October 30th, 2014 11:00

Hi,

The same with me. I am using  a Dell Inspiron 5447 14 inch. The WLAN chip is not establishing a good connection. Therefore sometimes I am using an external USB wifi adapter.

The signal strength is only 60% good.

- Yogish

1 Message

November 7th, 2014 14:00

Hi,

I have been living with  the same problem for a few months, finally I updated the drivers directly through the intel driver update utility  ( on the intel site)  to version 17.1... and it works like a charm.  

3 Posts

November 10th, 2014 12:00

I have the same laptop (Inspiron 14 5000 series) and it worked great for the first month, but now when I turn it on after a shutdown, 50% of the time it can't connect to my WiFi unless I disable the WiFi adaptor and re-enable.

I'm an IT Tech so I've tried just about everything.  I'll be calling warranty to send me a replacement wifi card.

3 Posts

November 14th, 2014 19:00

I am having the same problems.

I am running W7, x64 with the AC-3160 adapter, Intel driver 17.1.0.19 on a inspirion 5547.
I get a really bad connection, but truth be told, some routers seem to get a fine connection.

First, I blamed my router for being ***, then all the wireless networks floating around. All other devices in this household do not have this problem, so I blame the AC-3160.

The "unable to connect" feature when coming out of sleep mode also is too familiar.

Is it possible to replace the on-board wireless adapter with one that is working? If so, any suggestions?

Best regards,

Edwin

1 Message

December 4th, 2014 22:00

Hey, may I ask have your problem solved?? I am having the same problem too

Thank you.

3 Posts

December 4th, 2014 23:00

Dell sent me a new wireless card.  I replaced it, but still had the same problems.

Dell then sent a technician who replaced my motherboard and antenna, and it fixed the problem!

No Events found!