Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 20th, 2010 10:00

Inspiron 1300 Wireless connection problem

Hi all,

I  have an Inspiron 1300, Microsoft XP.

I cannot connect to the internet using the wireless adapter. The wireless network wizard symbol on bottom right of screen has a red cross through it. The green wireless light is not luminated. Was working well until if suddenly stopped.

My adapters are:-

Broadcom 440x 10 10/100 intergrated controller

Dell wireless 1370 WLAN Mini-PCI card

When I click on wireless network wizard icon I get te following message :- The radio of yout wireless adapter is currently not turned on. Press the cancel button and turn the adapter's radio on.

When I try and turn on the radio in the wireless utility, I get a message "the dell wireless WLAN card is still disabled. Press Fn-F2 to enable it". Fn-F2 does not do anything and I do not have any wireless switches on the sides of my laptop.

I have gone into device manager and it says that the card is enabled. I have attempted uninstalling the drivers and re booting, but problem still prevails.

My internet hub is working ok, and have connected my laptop to internet successfully using an ethernet cable.

Hope someone can help

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 20th, 2010 19:00

binge,

First, restart your computer and press F2. Make sure the wireless adapter is enabled in the bios.

Was the operating system recently reinstalled? If so, did you install the desktop/notebllk utility and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Install Drivers in Microsoft® Windows® on Dell Systems

In the device manager, also go to network, your wireless card, advanced. Try changing the Antenna Diversity from Auto to Aux.

Rick

2 Posts

October 21st, 2010 01:00

Rick,

Thanks for your reply, It was the adapter turned off in bios that was the problem.

All fixed and working again!!

Thanks

Terry

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 21st, 2010 11:00

Terry,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

2 Posts

October 23rd, 2010 16:00

Hi Rick.  I did just reinstall windows XP on my laptop and didn't know that I needed to install the notebook utilities and chipset drivers first, and so I think a bunch of my drivers failed to install as you mentioned (including wireless/internet access).  Not sure what to do now.  Figured I'd just start over, but none of the disks that came with my old compute seem to have these drivers on them.  I've thinking:

1) Use another computer to download these drivers from the dell website and save to a CD

2) Use the CD to install these drivers on my laptop

3) Reinstall windows xp again

Will this work?  Any steps I'm missing?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Eric

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 24th, 2010 13:00

EricCT,

The procedure is...

How To Restore or Reinstall Microsoft® Windows® on a Dell™ Computer

Please remember to install the desktop/notebook uti ity and the chipset drivers first, or the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Install Drivers in Microsoft® Windows® on Dell Systems

Rick

2 Posts

October 24th, 2010 17:00

Thanks Rick!

No Events found!